Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Review of The Tale of Birle by Cynthia Voigt

Read for: Mount TBR Print & Series Challenge
 
 
Synopsis: "After agreeing to marry Muir to get out of her oppressive life as an innkeeper's daughter, Birle finds herself falling in love with a supposed thief and opts to escape her upcoming marriage and finds that her new love isn't what he seemed."

My Review: I don't think that synopsis really give a full idea of what this tale encompasses, but I struggle to give another one that can cover the story that it is. This is a very slow moving story with not a lot of action but more observations of the world around Birle. The characters go through many changes throughout the story, hence the previous title of On Fortune's Wheel. I was kind of expecting this book to pick up right where Tale of Gwyn left off but was a little disappointed to find that it didn't, it takes place a few generations later. I was also a little surprised at how little the way of life and rules in the Kingdom had changed. Birle is an interesting character who doesn't really seem to care about too much the entire story but becomes a rather solid and reliable character to read. I really enjoyed the other main characters and sub characters introduced as well. The message you walk away from the story remembering is also a very good one, finding yourself and standing by who you are and those that really care will stand with you. You also get an understanding about life's up and downs and not giving into the downs. This is a book that will stick with you well after putting it down.
  
 
My Rating: While this second book in the series wasn't quite as captivating to read as the first book, it was still very well written. I think with these books you really need to be in the mood for a slow moving and reflective read.  I give this one a rating of Three Paws.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I'm sad to be seeing so many books lately that are slower reads. I need fast stuff. My brain is too fried to handle a deep, slow read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often enjoy the faster reading novels, but at the same time these slower moving ones are enjoyable too. This seems to be how the whole series is so far too, guess it is the writing style.

      Delete
  2. Happy to have finally figured out that they changed the names of the books in this series! Love them!

    Mariz
    Get Best Info for Real Estate Lake LBJ Service

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad they have published them with new names and covers otherwise I never would have discovered them or picked them up. I admit I am attracted by pretty covers!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great Kingdom story by a wonderful author. The main character is a strong young woman--appealing, courageous, and smart. I just wish they'd just kept the original name (On Fortune's Wheel) for the Kindle version.

    Wait till you see Cloud Contact Center Integrators

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was such a great story, slow but worth the time and effort. I am actually happy with the title and cover changes, if they hadn't changed I might have never noticed them or picked them up.

      Delete