Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Tea Time: Iced Tea Brewed Two Ways

This is a new series of blog posts to share my love of tea and some discoveries I am making as I dive more into that love. (And honestly, what goes better with books than a nice cup of tea?)
 
 
Welcome back to Tea Time Tuesday.  I have been really enjoying refreshing iced tea in these hot days we have now.  I thought I would share a little bit I have learned so far about brewing your own iced tea today.
 
First method is Sun Tea. I remember my mom making sun tea when I was a kid (she had a glass pitcher that hand orange slices painted all over it).  I have never made sun tea myself but really wanted to try.  So I went out and bought myself a nice 1 gallon glass pitcher (even though the darn thing started leaking before I even finished drinking my first batch of tea).  I filled it about 2/3s of the way up because I wanted room to add ice and chill it quickly.  I then added 10 regular Lipton tea bags and put it out on the deck in sunshine for 3.5 hours.  I then filled it the rest of the way with ice cubes and added just a splash of simple syrup for a touch of sweetness.  I really enjoyed it as did a friend of my Hubby's who came by for a BBQ that day.
 
 
While I was looking at different ways to enjoy iced tea, I came across a post about making it using a cold brewing method. So I thought I would give it a try.  I had to use my old 1/2 gallon pitcher since my new one is leaking.  I filled the pitcher with cool filtered water and added 5 bags of Green Tea and let it sit.  From what I read this brewing process usually takes 24 hours or so but because I used a lighter flavored tea I left the tea bags in for nearly 48 hours.  It is still a little weak in flavor so I would maybe hold off on adding much ice or I would use a stronger tea next time.
 
 
 
How are you enjoying your iced tea? Is there a method you like to use for brewing your own?

 


2 comments:

  1. I've never tried iced tea before. I'm so sad that your pitcher started leaking. It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I think I drink just as much iced tea as hot tea, I just used to buy it premade instead of making my own. I am bummed about the pitcher too, it was the perfect size for just me. Granted it was only $6 on clearance so you get what you pay for I guess.

      Delete