Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Tea Time Tuesday: Iced Tea Season

This is a new series of blog posts to share my love of tea and some discoveries I am making as I dive more into that love. (And honestly, what goes better with books than a nice cup of tea?)
 
 
So on vacation last week, it was still mostly hot tea weather where we were (most days were in the 50s) but when we arrived back here in Rhode Island it was instant summer with the days in the high 70s to mid 80s! So that means it is time to start drinking Iced Tea!
 
 
 
I got myself a new cup a few weeks ago in anticipation for this time of year.  This will be the first year of brewing my own iced tea instead of buying it pre-made or powdered mixes.  I am also going to be making some of my iced tea from loose leaf tea and hopefully some sun tea like my mom used to make.
 
 
Anyway, my first iced tea of the season was made from a loose leaf tea called Summer Sangria from Necessiteas.  I don't have a big infuser or infuser pitcher for iced teas (yet), so instead I used my big gallon pyrex measuring cup and made my own quick teabag using a coffee filter, measuring the tea into it and folding the open edge and securing it with staples.  It actually worked out rather well and the tea is a perfect light fruity taste to refresh on a hot day.
 
 
Are you starting to break out the iced tea? Do you make your own or use powders or premade? What is your favorite summer time tea?


2 comments:

  1. I've been worried about making my own iced tea because I'm afraid that the ice will dilute the tea flavor. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had issues with this too, the first tea I made was meant for iced tea and it was too strong, I guess after brewing I was supposed to add more water. But with regular loose teas I have checked into it and you are supposed to double the amount of tea you use for brewing. That seems a little strong to me. For the Summer Sangria I went with about 1.5 time the amount I use for hot tea and it was tasty (but I also don't add a lot of ice to my already chilled tea). If you like a lot of ice I would double the amount of tea used to counter act the melting ice.

      Delete