Thursday, March 17, 2016

After Dark Review of The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer Ashley

I have added After Dark Reviews to my blog as a way of notifying you of a review of a book with Adult themes and scenes. From now on I will keep my reviews of all books I read that have explicit scenes in them for late night posts for those of you who prefer to avoid them or easy to find for those of you who seek them out ;)
 
Read for: Audio Challenge & Mount TBR
 
 
Synopsis: "The year is 1881. Meet the Mackenzie family--rich, powerful, dangerous, eccentric. A lady couldn't be seen with them without ruin. Rumors surround them--of tragic violence, of their mistresses, of their dark appetites, of scandals that set England and Scotland abuzz.

The youngest brother, Ian, known as the Mad Mackenzie, spent most of his young life in an asylum, and everyone agrees he is decidedly odd. He's also hard and handsome and has a penchant for Ming pottery and beautiful women.

Beth Ackerley, widow, has recently come into a fortune. She has decided that she wants no more drama in her life. She was raised in drama--an alcoholic father who drove them into the workhouse, a frail mother she had to nurse until her death, a fussy old lady she became constant companion to. No, she wants to take her money and find peace, to travel, to learn art, to sit back and fondly remember her brief but happy marriage to her late husband.

And then Ian Mackenzie decides he wants her.

The first of a new historical series."


My Review: I wasn't really sure about this book when it first started but the uniqueness of the characters quickly drew me in. I loved Beth with all her tenacity and lack of lady like polish. Ian is one of the most unique characters I have read in a romance, from his manners it is my understanding that he has Aperger's Syndrome, a form of autism, but it is never mentioned by name. It makes it really a unique book and very refreshing to show that even with this issue he is still able to develop strong and lasting relationships with family and those outside the family. It is an absolutely fascinating book to read with characters and a developing storyline that work to make a really unique book. I also listened to the audio version of this book and the narrator (I can't remember her name off the top of my head) did a fantastic job distinguishing the different voices, accents and inflections, it added another element that made you almost feel as if you were a part of the story
 
My Rating: I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was a little surprised by how much.  I also listened to the audio version and didn't want to stop listening. If you enjoy historical romance I really urge you to give this one a try, it is so enjoyable and unique as well. It stands out in my memory, I give it a rating of Four Paws!

No comments:

Post a Comment