Thursday, June 25, 2015

Pen to Paper: Pocket Letters

 
 
 
Did you manage to send out 2 letters last week? I find myself writing to my cousin over and over again, even though she is out to sea on a boat and is only able to come back to land (and check her mail) once every 2 months. She will have a lot of mail to get through next time!
 
 
 
Today I want to talk about my newest obsession, Pocket Letters.  I am sure you have seen me talk about them a couple of times and seen a couple of sneak peeks.  If you haven't heard about this latest trend in snail mail, it was the creation of Janette Lane.  Basically you get to combine art, little goodies and pen pals all into a trading card protector sheet.
 
I have become completely obsessed with these and have participated in several swaps on the Pocket Letter Pals Network.  Now I mentioned art, but I want to be clear you don't need to be an artist by any means, just create something you would like to see, it can be little paintings, stickers, pattern paper, scrapbooking supplies, whatever you like.  You also include little goodies like tea bags, tiny sticky notes, page flags, ribbon, twine, washi tape samples, etc. whatever you can fit into those little pockets. Just make sure you include a letter in one of those pockets!
 
 
Here are a few I have recently created.
 
Dr. Seuss Themed - this was one of my favorites to make

A dog themed pocket letter for a swap

A purple themed pocket letter for a favorite colors swap

A Washi Tape swap pocket letter (each pocket has some washi tape samples)

Another one of my favorites, a Winnie the Pooh themed pocket letter.
 
 
I have so much fun making these, depending on how artistic I want to get with each pocket I can make sometimes 2 or 3 of these in a single night. It has been fun creating these and getting to know people (and potential continuing pen pals) from around the world.
 
 
 
I hope some of you will give this a try (and if you want to exchange pocket letters with me just let me know, I am more than happy).
 
 
 
Your Mission for the Week: Write a letter to someone you haven't written to recently. I can attest to the fact that just like other things (like reading) we get stuck in a rut and continue to write the same people over and over again.  You never know when you might just write to a person who will become the perfect pen pal. So lets all write to someone we haven't written to in the last couple of months.


No comments:

Post a Comment