Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Review of Spawn of Medusa by Mary Bernsen

Read for: Requested Review/NetGalley
 
Synopsis: "Passion doesn’t always follow the rules of fate…

Raised by the Fates, Ambrosia, the daughter of Medusa, has spent her life preparing for the day when she would fulfill her destiny and avenge her mother’s murder. But when a man comes forward claiming to be the spawn of Medusa, Ambrosia’s plan becomes a lot more complicated.

Working as a prostitute, she finds Perseus, the man who took her mother’s head. Not realizing who she is, he tells Ambrosia that Medusa is still alive and that he’s on a quest to finish what he started twenty-three years ago. Needing to find the mother she’s never met, Ambrosia convinces Perseus to let her help, and together they discover the secrets that will unseal the cave that has kept her mother captive. But Perseus proves to be different than the monster Ambrosia has always envisioned him to be, and she finds herself needing him, craving his touch. But how can the daughter of Medusa love the man who made her an orphan for twenty-three years, and who kept her from the mother she never met?"


My Review: This was a very interesting book, from the cover you would think it would be an after dark book but other than Ambrosia's profession and hints of what she does, it was a surprisingly clean book (note: there was use of some harsh language). It did take me a bit to really wrap my head around the characters different roles from traditional mythology. With that said I really enjoyed several of them once I settled into the story. I really loved where Bernsen took the storyline and the new and unexpected twist she put at the end. You really need to go into this one with an open mind and not be hard set with traditional mythology, but if you can keep your mind open it is a really enjoyable read.
 
My Rating: It really did take me a bit to wrap my head around this one, so I got a slow start on it, but it did get better once I let go of the traditional mythology beliefs. I give it a rating of Three Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment