Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Audio Book Review of Veil of Roses by Laura Fitzgerald

Read for: Mount TBR, Audio Challenge & Reading Across the States
 
Synopsis: "This compelling debut follows one spirited young woman from the confines of Iran to the intoxicating freedom of America, where she discovers not only an enticing new country but the roots of her own independence...

Tamila Soroush wanted it all. But in the Islamic Republic of Iran, dreams are a dangerous thing for a girl. Knowing they can never come true, Tami abandons them... Until her twenty-fifth birthday, when her parents give her a one-way ticket to America, hoping she will go and wake up her luck. If they have their way, Tami will never return to Iran... which means she has three months to find a husband in America. Three months before she's sent back for good.

From her first Victoria's Secret bra to her first ride on a motor scooter to her first country line-dance, Tami drinks in the freedom of an American girl. Inspired to pursue her passion for photography, she even captures her adventures on film. But looming over her is the fact that she must find an Iranian-born husband before her visa expires. To complicate matters, her friendship with Ike, a young American man, has grown stronger. And it is becoming harder for Tami to ignore the forbidden feelings she has for him.

It's in her English as a second language classes that Tami finds a support system. With the encouragement of headstrong Eva, loyal Nadia, and Agata and Josef, who are carving out a love story of their own, perhaps Tami can keep dreaming and find a way to stay in America."



My Review: This was an interesting book, I really wasn't sure how I was going to like it since the subject matter was so far outside my comfort zone. It turns out that I did really enjoy the story. I don't know how much of the life in Iran is actually based on truth. I loved experiencing the little things about life in America with Tami, it really did make me think about the simple joys of day to day life. All the characters are really unique and added to the story in their own ways. While the story ended in a way you kind of expect it is still nice to conclude on an up beat. The narrator on this one did a fantastic job with the voices and accents, it really drew me into the story even more.
 
My Rating: I was very pleasantly surprised with this book. It was so enjoyable I almost didn't want it to end but at the same time it was all wrapped up nicely.  I give it a rating of Four Paws!

2 comments:

  1. I love when a book you're not sure of and kind of scared of ends up being great. This one sounds interesting. I wonder how accurate it is to life in Iran.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that is why I push myself outside my comfort zone, some times it doesn't work but other times it works out so great! I am really curious as to how much truth there is, my boss's father grew up in Tehran I am thinking of asking him, even though it was before the book's setting.

      Delete