Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Review of Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Read for: Reading Across the States and Mount TBR
 
Synopsis: "The summer Opal and her father, the preacher, move to Naomi, Florida, Opal goes into the Winn-Dixie supermarket--and comes out with a dog. A big, ugly, suffering dog with a sterling sense of humor. A dog she dubs Winn-Dixie. Because of Winn-Dixie, the preacher tells Opal ten things about her absent mother, one for each year Opal has been alive. Winn-Dixie is better at making friends than anyone Opal has ever known, and together they meet the local librarian, Miss Franny Block, who once fought off a bear with a copy of WAR AND PEACE. They meet Gloria Dump, who is nearly blind but sees with her heart, and Otis, an ex-con who sets the animals in his pet shop loose after hours, then lulls them with his guitar.Opal spends all that sweet summer collecting stories about her new friends and thinking about her mother. But because of Winn-Dixie or perhaps because she has grown, Opal learns to let go, just a little, and that friendship—and forgiveness—can sneak up on you like a sudden summer storm."

My Review: While this book really seems to be almost about nothing, it still really captures you. You can't help but become connected with the wide array of characters and wish that you could get to know all of them as well. It is a simple yet heart warming story and I am surprised it took me this long to read it.
 
My Rating: I know I didn't have much to say in my review because I don't think I can really put it into words. I think you just have to read it to get out of it what you want.  I give it a rating of Four Paws.

4 comments:

  1. This is one of those books I've heard do much about. Good things too but I've never pukef it up. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a quick read and simple read if you are ever looking to just fill a little time or for something light. With how simple it is to read it does really make an impact.

      Delete
  2. This is a heartwarming story, my nieces love the movie and the oldest recently read the book for school. As she is not a big reader, I decided to read along with her and she loved it, in fact we both did, more than either of us expected to, I think. Recommend it for kids and adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great story, I am looking forward to my son reading it soon. I have yet to see the movie, maybe I should get on that.

      Delete