Saturday, January 17, 2015

Graphic Novel Review of Blankets by Craig Thompson

Read for: Across the States and Graphic Novel
 
Synopsis: "Wrapped in the landscape of a blustery Wisconsin winter, Blankets explores the sibling rivalry of two brothers growing up in the isolated country, and the budding romance of two coming-of-age lovers. A tale of security and discovery, of playfulness and tragedy, of a fall from grace and the origins of faith"

My Review: This is quite the graphic novel. It reads like a memoir with beautiful artwork. A deep thinking coming of age where all things and emotions are put to question. Relationships are made and broke during this time period and our own values and personalities are developed. Thompson brought all of this together in a detailed and intimate manner.
 
My Rating: This is a huge graphic novel but it passed quickly. I loved the illustrations, so simple yet captures so much. I also love how he was able to capture that difficult time between childhood and adulthood where you struggle to find yourself.  I give it a rating of Four Paws!

2 comments:

  1. Now see, here is a graphic novel I think I'd enjoy. And mostly because it's long. Graphic novels are usually too short to really connect to the characters or story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that sometimes it is hard to gain a connection with the characters in the short time period, especially when a lot of them are so action packed. This was definitely a huge one, it took up a lot of shelf space but it wasn't horribly long to read.

      Delete