Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Review of Daniel's Esperanza by Veronica Randolph Batterson

 
Synopsis: "A rancher and his wife provide a haven for wild mustangs on ten thousand acres in northern New Mexico. Unable to have children of their own, they also provide a home to a broken and abused teenage boy from Virginia. Their wild horse sanctuary gives comfort to the boy, while the family faces challenging actions and lies from a vindictive neighbor and the threat of the boy's biological father resurfacing.

Under the backdrop of Native American culture and New Mexico ranch life, Daniel escapes his abusive father and finds a new home with Frank and Sarah Carpenter, ranchers and owners of a wild horse sanctuary. For three years, he heals, is nurtured and becomes an adult. Daniel learns how to ride horses, train them and accept a family as his own.

However, a vengeful, neighboring rancher and son become formidable enemies. They engage in threats against the Carpenters and Daniel that involve horse stealing, gambling and potential danger to the sanctuary horses. The neighbors also hire a private investigator to look into Daniel's past, allowing his abusive father to learn of his whereabouts."


My Review: This was a Goodreads First Reads book and I am so glad I won a copy. It was a great book with fantastic characters. I loved Daniel and Joe, but my favorite by far was Frank. This book has a lot going on, almost too much, I could have done with maybe one less traumatic event. It does tackle a lot of very tough issues including alcoholism, abuse, infertility, bullying, gambling and of course issues with the wild horse preservation and management. It was all put together very smoothly and was an enjoyable book to sit down and read, it kept drawing me back in and turning the pages.
  
 
My Rating: This was a good book, there was just a little much going on, one less setback would have made the book feel a little more realistic for me. It just tackled a little too much in my opinion, but it was still filled with such fantastic characters you still wanted to keep reading.  I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment