Saturday, August 9, 2014

Mindless Weekend Ramblings: 55 Quirky Questions for Readers

Welcome to my new blog event called Mindless Weekend Rambling where I will ramble on and on aimlessly about all the junk rolling around in my brain. Occasionally I might rant and rave about something that is bothering me or question the sanity of it all, or maybe choose to discuss my to do list or plans that I am making or maybe share something new I learned. The only thing I can guarantee is that it will be totally off the cuff. I hope you will bear with me and maybe get a laugh or two in the process.
 
 
So I came across this post on The Notebook Sisters answering 55 questions about your reading habits.  They traced it as far back as The Literary Lollipop.  Their answers made me giggle a little and made me want to answer them as well.  So bear with me as I bombard you with all these questions and answers (please feel free to answer some in the comments too or let me know if you did a post on your own blog).
 
 
1. Favorite Childhood Book?
That's a hard choice, I would say the Serendipity books but that is as much as I can narrow that one down.
 
2. What are you reading right now?
At the time of scheduling this closing I was reading:
   
 
 
3. What books do you have on request from the library?
Absolutely none, I am not into waiting and am horribly disappointed in my local library.
 
 
4. Bad book habit?
Reading too much at once. I often feel like I don't dedicate enough time to each book individually.
 
 
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
I own more books than my library does so none.
 
 
6. Do you have an e-Reader?
Of course! I have the classic Nook and Kindle Paperwhite and of course both apps are on my phone and programs are loaded on my work computer and home computer so no mater what I can access a book.
 
 
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time or several at once?
I think #2 answers that nicely.
 
 
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Definitely, I am reading a lot more books and a much wider variety, not to mention keeping better track of what I am reading and what I think of the books.
 
 
9. The least favorite book you have read so far this year?
Thankfully I have really read a lot of good books this year and not so many of the bash my head against the wall type. I have had a few so far this year though . . . How to Stuff a Wild Zucchini, Dark Chatter, 100 Cupboards
 
 
10. Favorite book you've read so far this year?
That is an even harder question! I have read some really fantastic books so far this year. Pressed Pennies, Still Alice, This Little Piggy Went to the Liquor Store, Once Upon A Memory
 
 
11. How often do you read outside your comfort zone?
I try to read outside my comfort zone 10-20% of the time.
 
 
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
I really prefer reading fantasy and romance (mainly historical and paranormal), but am really starting to expand this comfort zone to include more genres.
 
 
13. Can you read in the car?
It is kind of hard when you are usually the one driving, but I do listen to audio books in the car so that counts right?
 
 
14. Favorite place to read?
Either in a comfy chair, couch or in the sunshine (as long as it is quiet time without Munchkin).
 
 
15. What is your policy on book lending?
Please give me enough of notice so I can go by an extra copy to lend you because I am sure as heck not allowing my only copy out of my house!
 
 
16. Do you ever dog ear books?
Occasionally, but I try not to, it really only happens if I think there is something I might need to revisit.
 
 
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Generally no, but I have come across a book or two that I need to underline a bit and then I have these handy bookmarks I can make notes on instead of writing in the book itself.
 
 
18. Do you crack or break the spines of your books?
I guess this could be considered my bad reading habit, I kind of love the sound it makes, that I am the first to really get into said book.
 
 
19. What is your favorite language to read in?
The only language I really can read in, English (though I did take many, many years of German but it has long since been forgotten).
 
 
20. What makes you love a book?
If it can make me feel something or express some emotion outwardly while reading, that is the mark of a good book.
 
 
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If it made me think or pause while reading to fully absorb it.
 
 
22. Favorite genre?
Definitely fantasy, but don't mix in any SciFi, if I get so much as a hint of math or science my rating will drop drastically.
 
 
23. Genre you rarely read but wish you did more?
I wish I read more poetry, I really enjoy it but for some reason don't read it very often.
 
 
24. Favorite Biography?
Hmm . . . not sure, I will have to do some research on that one since I don't read them too often but did more so in high school.
 
 
25. Have you ever read a self-help (and was it helpful)?
Can't say that I have, if I need to figure anything out I just get online and research.
 
 
26. Favorite cookbook?
I have a weird cookbook obsession (I really have revealed it too much yet) but of all my cookbooks I think is Simple Dinner or my Risotto Cookbook, both have signs of often use.
 
 
27. Most inspirational book you have read this year?
Oddly enough I have found that some of the graphic novels are the most inspirational, these are the best so far:
 
 
 
28. Favorite reading snack?
Most likely that is popcorn, but it kind of depends on where I am reading and what I am reading.  Oh and if I am at home it is usually accompanied by a chilled glass of wine.
 
 
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
So far I am really not impressed with the Harry Potter series, maybe I was expecting so much more since everyone raves about it and it influence so many avid readers.  Oh and Fifty Shades of Grey, what a crock that was, I have read so many better books in that genre!
 
 
30. How often do you agree with critiques about a book?
I don't know, I have never actually paid attention because I read for me and don't really care what others think, granted I like to discuss books with others but am not looking for validation of anything.
 
 
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
Some times things just don't work out, I hate giving negative reviews but if the book didn't work for me, it just didn't. I do however try to find the good in each book, because what I don't like maybe right up someone else's alley.
 
 
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which would you choose?
Italian, definitely, it sounds beautiful, it looks beautiful and so many of the older books that I love have been translated from Italian or Latin.
 
 
33. Most intimidating book you have ever read?
Hmm, not sure, Jane Eyre was intimidating and required reading for school. The Song of Fire and Ice series by George RR Martin is definitely intimidating and I have read a couple of those (but it is what I enjoy). So I have to say recently, Mansfield Park was the most intimidating book I read recently.
 
 
34. Most intimidating book you're too nervous to start?
The Mists of Avalon, Hubby gave it to me a couple of Christmas' ago and I really want to read it and I am sure I will love it but it is just so darn big and I could read so many other books in the time it would take me to read that one book.
 
 
35. Favorite Poet?
I would have to say it is a toss up between Javan and Pablo Neruda (translated of course) but one can never count Shel Silverstein out!
 
 
36. How many books do you have checked out of the library at any given time?
None, I have plenty of my own to read.
 
 
37. How often do you return books to the library unread?
I don't think I have ever returned a book to the library unread
 
 
38. Favorite fictional character?
I don't know if I can say it is a favorite because that obviously changes from book to book, but I have had a major crush on Brigan from Fire by Kristen Cashore since I read it years ago.
 
 
39.Favorite fictional villain?
I really honestly don't know, I guess I either don't pay attention to the villains or don't classify anyone as official villains.
 
 
40. Books I'm most likely to bring on vacation?
Whatever I happen to be reading at the time and if it is a series the following books. I also always take both my Nook & Kindle with me so I have over a 1000 books at my finger tips.
 
 
41. Longest I've gone without reading?
I really can't say, I didn't do as much reading for pleasure in college, but I took English classes so I could read, if that makes any sense.
 
 
42. Name of a book you couldn't/ wouldn't finish reading?
The titles listed in question #9 and then some. I only recently have given myself permission to stop reading a book if I really dislike it after reading half of it.
 
 
43. What distracts you easily when reading?
Munchkin, I think he is about the only thing that can distract me from reading. At work I am still able to function, answering the phones and not miss a beat with my reading.
 
 
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, both the old and the new were absolutely fantastic. I also think they have done an outstanding job with the Game of Thrones series on HBO.
 
 
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Oh gosh, where to begin, I guess the worst was The Hunger Games, it turned into more of a love story and really down played the whole political and manipulation aspect which to me was the whole point of the series!
 
 
46. Most amount of money you have ever spent in a bookstore at one time?
Oh dear god, are you really going to make me answer that, what if Hubby stumbles across this?! I will just say it was over $100 and leave it at that.
 
 
47. How often do you skim a book before reading?
Never, I often don't even read the synopsis or back cover before starting it, usually I have already carefully researched the books I like before purchasing them.
 
 
48. What would cause you to stop reading halfway through a book?
A strong dislike of the subject matter, characters or the message that the book is sending. I don't mind if a book has strong view points but will not stand for something that is overtly offensive.
 
 
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Yes, yes, yes but unfortunately since Munchkin was born my books have not once been organized, the books I have finished have just been shoved onto bookshelves and not even the correct ones, I try not to look at it when I am in the basement.
 
 
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once read?
Yes, whether I liked it or not it is staying on my bookshelf. Too many times I have donated books and then gone out to buy them again, so now nothing leaves my shelves once they are there!
 
 
51. Are there any books you have been avoiding?
Unfortunately yes, I have the last three books of the Eragon series and I was so horribly disappointed in the first I can't seem to bring myself to read the rest of them.
 
 
52. Name of a book that made you angry.
I don't mind books with religion in them, but I expect it to be noted in the synopsis or description if it is going to be prominent and I really expect it not to force it down my throat. I was so mad at this book I actually screamed and threw it (that is highly out of character for me).
 
 
53. A book I didn't expect to like but did.
Gosh that's a tough question, why would I read a book I don't expect to like? I guess if forced to answer, this year Dependent caught me off guard and drew me in more than I expected.
 
 
54. Name of a book I expected to like but didn't.
Simple answer here this year, The Harry Potter books so far. I have finished 2 of them and am really disappointed and honestly completely confused as to what everyone likes about them.
 
 
55. Favorite guilt free guilty pleasure reading?
Isn't reading in generally a guilty pleasure that I have absolutely no guilt taking part in (even when there are chores and work to be done).
 

2 comments:

  1. Nice! That's a crazy number of book questions. How fun to see all the answers though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of questions to answer but it was fun to think about some of them.

      Delete