Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Graphic Novel Review of V for Vendetta by Alan Moore

 
Synopsis: ""Good evening, London." It's nine o'clock and this is The Voice of Fate... It is the Fifth of the Eleventh, Nineteen-Ninety-Seven...

"The people of London are advised that the Brixton and Streatham areas are quarantine zones as of today. It is suggested that these areas be avoided for reasons of health and safety...

Police raided seventeen homes in the Birmingham area early this morning, uncovering what is believed to be a major terrorist ring. Twenty people, either of them women, are currently in detention awaiting trial...

The weather will be fine until 12:07 A.M. when a shower will commence, lasting until 1:30 A.M...

Have a pleasant evening."

A frightening and powerful tale of the loss of freedom and identity in a chillingly believable totalitarian world, V for Vendetta stands as one of the highest achievements of the comics medium and a defining work for creators Alan Moore and David Lloyd.

Set in an imagined future England that has given itself over to fascism, this groundbreaking story captures both the suffocating nature of life in an authoritarian police state and the redemptive power of the human spirit which rebels against it. Crafted with sterling clarity and intelligence, V for Vendetta brings an unequaled depth of characterization and verisimilitude to its unflinching account of oppression and resistance.

"Remember, remember the fifth of November..."


My Review: I wasn't able to finish this one. I thought I would enjoy the graphic novel version because I loved the movie so much, but as far as I could tell (for how far I read) they were almost the same. I have also come to the conclusion that I am not a fan of Alan Moore's work. It is just too much detail to be enjoyable as a graphic novel. The artwork also was so scrunched on the pages that I couldn't tell a lot of the characters apart with a glance. So with this one, I am just going to stick with the movie.
 
My Rating: I hit a road block on this novel. If there is going to be that much detail, I would prefer to read a regular book so I can at least read the print easily and imagine my own art.  Another couldn't finish graphic novel, I need a good one soon! I give it a rating of One Paw.

No comments:

Post a Comment