Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Audio Review of Stork by Wendy Delsol

Synopsis: "Moving from LA to nowhere Minnesota, sixteen-year-old Katla Leblanc expected the local fashion scene to be frozen in time. What she didn't expect was induction into the Icelandic Stork Society, an ancient order of women charged with a unique mystical duty. Not only is Katla the youngest member, but Hulda, the society's omen-guided leader, immediately bestows the coveted Second Chair on her ? a decision that ruffles a few feathers. As if that weren't enough, Katla also has to deal with her parents? divorce and the social aftermath of a bad date with popular but creepy Wade. Katla, however, isn't one to sit on her designer-jean-clad behind, and soon she's assigned the fashion column for the school paper and making new friends. Things would be looking up if it weren't for editor in chief Jack. Even though they argue every time they meet, Katla is inexplicably drawn to him. Juggling her home life, school, and Stork duties, will Katla be able to unravel the mystery surrounding Jack? More importantly, will she find a dress in time for Homecoming? Folktales collide with reality in Wendy Delsol's debut novel, in which one girl finds herself tail-feathers deep in small-town life."

My Review: Well this one had some ups and downs. The original concept of the book was absolutely brilliant, I just wish that Delsol would have stuck with the Stork concept instead of throwing a bunch of other ideas in too. The result was just a mash-up of too many ideas without enough meat to sink into. I did like Katla's voice, she was a really unique character and kept you in the teen mode. As for Jack, he is too perfect. I want to know where all these deeply romantic and commitment supportive teen guys are, cause they sure as heck weren't around when I was in high school! For me personal Hulda made the story! She is awesome! So the characters really saved this book for me. I realize that this is the first in the series but I still think that when given the idea right from the get go of the Storks, that idea should be fully developed in that story instead of being pushed to the side for other plot lines.  Oh and I wanted to mention that the narrator Julia Whelan was brilliant! She did a fantastic job with the voices and really bringing the story alive.
 
My Rating: Yup the great characters and the narration of this audio really kept it alive for me. I really wish we could have spent more time with the title subject of storks.  That said it was still a middle of the road Two Paw and a Stump Wag rating for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment