Thursday, April 25, 2013

Review of Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev

Eyes Like Stars was your choice for the Fantasy Genre during my Spend My Money event in January.
 
 
 
Synopsis: "All her world’s a stage.

Bertie Shakespeare Smith is not an actress, yet she lives in a theater.
She’s not an orphan, but she has no parents.
She knows every part, but she has no lines of her own.
That is, until now.

Enter Stage Right

NATE. Dashing pirate. Will do anything to protect Bertie.
COBWEB, MOTH, MUSTARD SEED, and PEASEBLOSSOM. Four tiny and incredibly annoying fairies. BERTIE’S sidekicks.
ARIEL. Seductive air spirit and Bertie’s weakness. The symbol of impending doom.
BERTIE. Our heroine.

Welcome to the Théâtre Illuminata, where the actors of every play ever written can be found behind the curtain. They were born to play their parts, and are bound to the Théâtre by The Book—an ancient and magical tome of scripts. Bertie is not one of them, but they are her family—and she is about to lose them all and the only home she has ever known.

Lisa Mantchev has written a debut novel that is dramatic, romantic, and witty, with an irresistible and irreverent cast of characters who are sure to enchant the audience.

Open Curtain"


My Review: I was really looking forward to starting this series, and it is clear this is the first book of the series until you start reading. I felt like maybe I missed a prelude. I had an unusually tough time picturing the scene. Maybe you need to be very familiar with the workings of a professional theater and the backstage workings? I'm not really sure because while I do enjoy plays, I am not familiar with all the details of pulling one off. It was an interesting concept though, everyone confined to the theater and able to be called on stage with just the use of the headset, any scene or act ready on a moments notice. An escaped actress who returned and now another trapped actor wishes to escape but possibly Bertie is the only one who can release him. I think that maybe the characters would have eventually grown on me but I don't see me being able to dedicate the time to the next novel of the series.
 
My Rating: This was such a disappointment.  I wasn't attached to any of the characters except Nate, in fact I found several of them very annoying and distracting.  For the great story concept, it was a little bit of a let down.  I give it a rating of One Paw and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment