Saturday, October 13, 2012

Graphic Novel Review of Fables: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham


Graphic Novel Saturdays occur once a month here on Eastern Sunset Reads and will feature a new graphic novel on the second Saturday of each month.  This is a whole new genre for me that I am excited about and hope you will all join me in the excitement of finding new adventures!
 
 


Synopsis: "When a savage creature known only as the Adversary conquered the fabled lands of legends and fairy tales, all of the infamous inhabitants of folklore were forced into exile. Disguised among the normal citizens of modern-day New York, these magical characters have created their own peaceful and secret society within an exclusive luxury apartment building called Fabletown. But when Snow White's party-girl sister, Rose Red, is apparently murdered, it is up to Fabletown's sheriff, a reformed and pardoned Big Bad Wolf (Bigby Wolf), to determine if the killer is Bluebeard, Rose's ex-lover and notorious wife killer, or Jack, her current live-in boyfriend and former beanstalk-climber."


My Review: I really enjoyed Fables Legends in Exile! I love how it features classic fairy tale characters in a new modern twist. You need a little familiarity with fairy tales (or fables) but its not absolutely necessary to enjoy the novel. The story line itself kept you involved, a nice mystery wrapped in fantasy. The illustrations are awesome! I also liked how the edition that I have also has a background story as well as a couple of previews to branch off series. I have to say I am now kind of addicted to graphic novels, who'd have thought that?!        
 
My Rating: I really loved this, if you are still hesitant about graphic novels this is a great place to start! Fairy tale characters are recognizable but come together in a new kind of story! I suggest trying it out (maybe if you aren't ready for the novel just pick up one of the single issues to try). Definitely a Four Paw rating from me!

2 comments:

  1. This one actually sounds quite fun and, yes, I think I know my fables/fairy tales pretty well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great! I actually went out and got a few more in the Fable series and can't wait to read more!

      Delete