Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Poetry Pause: Sonnet 18 by William Shakespeare

I am working in the poetry section of my own 2011 Reading Challenge. I had planned on posting the poems for you to join me in reflecting on them; however, I am not entirely certain on the copyright laws regarding some of the poets we will read. So to be on the safe side I decided to try to link you to the poem I will be reading.

Another option, if you are looking to purchase a book of poetry, I suggest Half Hours with the Best Poets (Barnes & Noble or Amazon)




This is a fantastic collection of poems, nearly all of my top poems are in this one book!




So the next poem is
 
The title link with take you to the poem
 
 
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
 
I don't know if I am just in a pessimistic mood today or what because I honestly am not struck with this poem. I know it is one of the most popular of love poems and is on Valentine's cards, Wedding cards and Anniversary cards. I really don't get the feel of why it is a love poem other than loving the person's beauty, but you don't know what that beauty is. I also don't that surge of feeling that you get when reading something to do with love and think about your own loved ones.  I have to say I am definitely more partial to Shakespeare's plays as opposed to his poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment