Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Poetry Pause: A Girl by Ezra Pound

As I said last week I am working in the poetry section of my own 2011 Reading Challenge.  I had planned on posting the poems for you to join me in reflecting on them; however, I am not entirely certain on the copyright laws regarding some of the poets we will read.  So to be on the safe side I decided to try to link you to the poem I will be reading.

Another option, if you are looking to purchase a book of poetry, I suggest Half Hours with the Best Poets (Barnes & Noble or Amazon)
This is a fantastic collection of poems, nearly all of my top poems are in this one book!

So the next poem is

The title is a link to the poem

Well I will honestly admit, I didn't get this one. I was never really a fan of Pound's work to begin with but this one threw me.  I did read some of other readers thoughts on it and there are several ideas of what Ezra Pound might be trying to portray through this poem. Some ideas are of a girl maturing and how she changes, another thought is the story of Daphne & Apollo.  After reading several thoughts and going back and reading the poem again, I like the idea that he could be describing a daughter or granddaughter and how his love for her grows with each passing day and year as a tree would grow. She brings him life, but the world doesn't care, it just keeps moving on, it doesn't pause a moment to let him enjoy this love.

Well hopefully these poems get easier, I seem to have lost my love for poetry :( but I am looking forward to regaining that love, as several of the next poems are ones I know and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment