Monday, December 19, 2022

Advent Reads Day 19: The Girl with the Pirate Smile by Joseph Truitt

   Welcome to Advent Reads!

This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!


Synopsis: "Break into an old cookie factory with a mysterious new friend? Rob the townspeople to supply the cookie ingredients? Will the law catch up with Emma and Penelope before they get the cookies baked for Christmas?

Rediscover your inner child in this magical Christmas mystery as you follow the lonely Emma Harper through the enchanting town of Pottsville during the height of Christmas merriment. When Emma’s mysterious new friend, Penelope, convinces her to break into the old cookie factory, her life is instantly filled with adventure and purpose. Emma soon becomes captive to Penelope’s spunky personality, but when strange, enchanting things happen around Penelope, Emma suddenly begins to question the reality of her new friend.

Fall in love with Emma and Penelope in this heartwarming Christmas tale of friendship, adventure, and love for Christmas cookies."

My Review: I was looking for a good Christmas book for Munchkin and stumbled across this series so decided to give it a try first.  This was quite the adventure story.  It is a bit of a chosen one trope but you can't help but route for Emma and she struggles with bullies, school, family financial difficulties and more. As an adult reading it, I definitely saw a couple of the twists ahead of time but there are still a lot of surprises throughout the story. Definitely a fun one for any kid to read and see the underdog kid saving the day. I will definitely be continuing with this series.

My Rating: This was a fun Middle Grade book to read during the holiday season. Even though the main character is a girl, it is such an adventure I think it is just as suited to young boy readers as well. I give this one a rating of Four Paws




No comments:

Post a Comment