Thursday, March 12, 2020

Review of The Test by Sylvain Neuvel

Read for: Borrowed Books/ Booktube SFF Shortlist

Synopsis: "Britain, the not-too-distant future.
Idir is sitting the British Citizenship Test.
He wants his family to belong.

Twenty-five questions to determine their fate. Twenty-five chances to impress.

When the test takes an unexpected and tragic turn, Idir is handed the power of life and death.
How do you value a life when all you have is multiple choice?"


My Review: I picked up this book because it was on the Booktube SFF Shortlist for this year. I didn't know anything about this book, I didn't even read the synopsis before I started the audio book. Boy was I shocked, the audio book was so difficult to listen to, not because of anything negative about the writing or narration but because of the content. It was shocking and traumatic, but in a good way. It seems like current fiction at first but then you are hit with such a twist that it really messes with your mind, and the twists just keep coming. The most shocking part is that you could picture people going to these extremes for the advancement of their own career or notoriety, really opens your eyes to the way we treat people as we climb those social and career ladders. This is definitely a must read and I highly recommend the audio book!


My Rating: This is why I try to read the Booktube SFF shortlist books, you never know the gems you will find!  I have found the short/novella works to be my favorite category and this is just an example why.  I didn't know what to expect but I was totally blown away. It is a short read, the audio book only took about and hour and a half but I had to stop everything to just listen because it was that captivating.  This is without a doubt a Four Paw and a Stump Wag read and may end up on my top books of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment