Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Advent Reads Day 3: Loving My Actual Christmas by Alexandra Kuykendall

Welcome to Advent Reads!
This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!

Read for: Recently Added/ Audio Books

Synopsis: "The Christmas season is a particularly difficult time for women to slow down and relish what's right in front of them. An annual marker for many, it is a holiday that can often remind us how life is not going as we'd planned. Our family relationships remain strained, our finances stretched, and our schedules stuffed with too much to do in too little time.
Following the formula of her successful Loving My Actual Life, Alexandra Kuykendall shares with readers her own personal experiment to be completely present in her life as it is during the holiday season. Addressing the themes of Advent and Christmas, she reflects on hope, love, joy, peace, and relishing the season, with practical pullouts on common Christmas stressors, such as finances, schedules, and extended family. Kuykendall's signature candor helps women go easy on themselves, remember what truly matters, and find joy in their imperfect Christmases."

My Review: I picked up this book on a whim because who doesn't need help and guidance to actually enjoying Christmas instead of feeding into the holiday pressure?! It turned out to be much more religion driven than I expected but it did give a lot of great tips and things to think about. I like how it was broken down into the weeks of Advent and each week was given a goal and a thought to focus on. There were also great prompts throughout the book and at the end to give you ways to make your Christmas less stressful and more enjoyable. I think if I had known it was going to be so Christian based going in I would have enjoyed it more. So just know that there are bible verses throughout and a strong basis in the Nativity and Christian beliefs.

My Rating: This book wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was a great book about really enjoying your holiday season. I really wish they made it a little more clear when books are going to be so heavily religion based, if I was expecting that I may have enjoyed it more.   I give it a rating of Three Paws.



No comments:

Post a Comment