Saturday, November 23, 2019

Graphic Novel Review of To Build a Fire by Christophe Chaboute

Read for: Graphic Novel Challenge/ Borrowed Books

Synopsis: "From the “master of black and white” artwork (Paste Magazine) and the bestselling illustrator-storyteller of Park Bench and Alone comes a starkly beautiful graphic novel adaptation of Jack London’s most famous short story.

Discover the beloved author of White Fang and The Call of the Wild, Jack London’s renowned short story “To Build a Fire” in a new and evocative way from master artist Christophe Chabouté. With his signature “stunning black-and-white art” (Publishers Weekly), Chabouté illustrates London’s gripping story of man versus nature in the harsh and unforgiving Yukon that has enthralled readers for over a century."


My Review: When I picked this book up at the library, I had no idea it was a retelling of a Jack London story I had never heard of, but I did pick it up because I love the previous graphic novels I have read by Chaboute. While the middle of a heat wave in summer may not have been the most atmospheric time to read this one, it did still give me some seriously chilly vibes. I loved the monochromatic art style and the way the story was converted to this new format. I do really want to read the original work now.


My Rating: I really enjoyed this Graphic Novel, the art style suited the story perfectly. I enjoyed it so much I have begun searching out a copy of my own.  I give it a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!


No comments:

Post a Comment