Friday, October 25, 2019

Bedtime Story: Does Frankenstein Get Hungry? by John Solimine

Read for: Children's Book Challenge

Synopsis: "Tucked up in her bed, a little girl wonders about the creatures rumored to go bump in the night. But instead of pulling the covers over her head, she comes up with a list of important questions, like:


Does Frankenstein get hungry?



Does Dracula floss his fangs?



Does the boogeyman have boogers?



Does the thing that lives beneath my bed get lonely under there?



With each inquiry, the little girl's confidence grows--proving monsters are no match for her imagination! From debut talent John Solimine, this laugh-out-loud picture book has all the silly and gentle reassurance kids need for a good night's sleep."

My Review: I was on a hunt for the perfect book for Frankenstein week (one that I haven't read before) and while this one didn't end up being really about Frankenstein or his monster specifically, it was still really too good not to share. I love this approach of using silly but still logical questions to combat fear of those bumps in the night. I have come across many books in the past that have tried to accomplish the same thing but none that would work quite as well for Munchkin. We had a blast laughing the silly art work and crazier questions. It got the logical part of the brain going that pulled away from those fantastical fears. Of course the silliness also helps in those minutes before the lights go out.

My Rating: While this isn't exactly the Frankenstein inspired book I was looking for, it really surprised me, as it was a perfect book for Munchkin! I would highly recommend it if you are struggling with your little one being afraid at night and nothing else has really worked.  We give it a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!


Good Night! Sweet Dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment