Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Top 5 Wednesday: Reasons I Keep Skipping that Book on my TBR

Top 5 Wednesday is a group on Goodreads hosted by Sam from Thoughts on Tomes on Youtube.


I believe that Sam is still on Hiatus and I have a few more ideas for Top 5 Wednesday posts. 

This week I wanted to talk about all those reasons I have for skipping over books on my TBR instead of picking them up. We all have those little reasons we tell ourselves and here are a few brutally honest reasons I haven't picked up the books that I bought and am really excited to read but just don't pick them up.



1. I don't have time, this book is too big!
Yup we all have this excuse not to pick up those big books, I always skip over them on the shelves but at the same time I know I usually end up enjoying them over many of the shorter books. 

This is the reason I have been skipping over The Forgetting Moon at 800 pages.



2. This is the last book in the series, maybe if I never read it, I won't have to say goodbye!
I find myself saying this more and more often, if I can binge right through the series I am fine but if I have to wait for a final book, I really struggle to pick it up, afraid to say goodbye to those favorite characters.

I still have Dawn Study sitting on my shelves, it has been out for nearly 2 years but I just can't bring myself to say goodbye to Yelena and Valek after 8 books and 4 novellas!



3. The Hype is too much! What if I am disappointed?!
Ugh, the dreaded hype, others get your expectations so high that you are guaranteed to be disappointed, and you know this so you keep waiting for the hype to die down along with your expectations.

For this very reason I haven't picked up King of Scars, the hype has died down now but the disappointing reviews are rolling in and it is making me even more hesitant to pick it up.



4. It's a Classic, they are so tedious!
Some of my favorite books are classics but on the flip-side some of my least favorite books are classics. You never know what you are going to get when you read one until you are in it and have potentially spent hours reading it.

Hence the reason The Picture of Dorian Gray is still sitting there mocking me from the shelf.



5. I don't have the Audio book yet and there are hard words.
With a lot of books that are inspired by non-english speaking regions, there are often words that are difficult to pronounce or read. I like to have an audio book to listen to while reading so that I can get the names and words correct.

Books I have struggled with in the past become instant favorites once I combine them with audio books, so I have to pick up both formats at the same time.  This is the reason I have held off picking up We Hunt the Flame and Descendant of the Crane, both of which I believe now have audio books available.
 






So what are some of your favorite excuses for not picking up a book on your TBR? Which excuse should I push through first to pick up one of these books?  What is your response when you start giving yourself excuses?



2 comments:

  1. This topic made me laugh. I use a lot of the same excuses as you. I'm a mood reader, so mine is usually that I'm not in the mood for that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have excuses to avoid those books we want to read but just can't bring ourselves to pick up. Sometimes I am a mood reader but usually I can just make a TBR and pick from it just fine.

      Delete