Thursday, September 26, 2019

Review of Turning Darkness Into Light by Marie Brennan

Read for: Recently Added & Auto Buy Author

Synopsis: "As the renowned granddaughter of Isabella Camherst (Lady Trent, of the riveting and daring Draconic adventure memoirs) Audrey Camherst has always known she, too, would want to make her scholarly mark upon a chosen field of study.

When Lord Gleinheigh recruits Audrey to decipher a series of ancient tablets holding the secrets of the ancient Draconean civilization, she has no idea that her research will plunge her into an intricate conspiracy, one meant to incite rebellion and invoke war. Alongside dearest childhood friend and fellow archeologist Kudshayn, must find proof of the conspiracy before it’s too late.

TURNING DARKNESS INTO LIGHT is a delightful fantasy of manners, the heir to the award-winning Natural History of Dragons series, a perfect stepping stone into an alternate Victorian-esque fantasy landscape."

My Review: I absolutely loved the Lady Trent series, but didn't realize this book was coming out until right before the release! This is a companion to the Lady Trent series as opposed to a continuation of the series, which I appreciated, it takes place a couple of generations later as the Draconians are integrating into human society. While this story didn't capture my attention quite the way the Lady Trent series did, I was still really intrigued and enjoyed reading it. I had loved Isabella's personality so much in the original series that I really struggled with Audrey, who while she seeks to embody her grandmother, she doesn't quite accomplish it. I did however love that we are discovering lost Draconean myths along with the characters. Also, with the addition of Kudshayn as a character we get so much more than observations of the society and history. I don't want to give away too much but I really enjoyed this book and the fact that it takes place so many years after the series, we get to see progress but also the painfully slow way society and opinions change and progress.

My Rating: While I wasn't as thoroughly engrossed in this book as I was in the Lady Trent series, I still really enjoyed it and appreciate what Brennan did with this story to give us a bit more.  I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag!  Oh and I did listen to this on audio book while looking at the print book when I had time and I honestly think it might have been better as a print book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment