Friday, July 19, 2019

Bedtime Story: The Rabbit Listened by Cori Doerrfeld

Read for: Children's Book Challenge & Borrowed Books


Synopsis: "With its spare, poignant text and irresistibly sweet illustrations, The Rabbit Listened is a tender meditation on loss.

When something terrible happens, Taylor doesn't know where to turn. All the animals are sure they have the answer. The chicken wants to talk it out, but Taylor doesn't feel like chatting. The bear thinks Taylor should get angry, but that's not quite right either. One by one, the animals try to tell Taylor how to process this loss, and one by one they fail. Then the rabbit arrives. All the rabbit does is listen, which is just what Taylor needs.

Whether read in the wake of tragedy or as a primer for comforting others, this is a deeply moving and unforgettable story sure to soothe heartache of all sizes."

My Review: I have heard a lot of great things about this book so when I saw it available at my library I picked it up. This is such a sweet and simple story but a great one with fantastic messages throughout. It is a great way to help little ones start to define and understand their 'big' feelings. This is also a nice reminder to parents that sometimes we just need to sit and listen to kids when they are feeling those emotions and let them work through them in their own time. I loved the illustration style, it is soft and simple and lends to the feel of the story. It is a great bedtime story!

My Rating: I really loved this book, I wish I had read it with Munchkin when he was little. Even though he didn't have an interest in reading it (he only wants to read chapter books now), it was still a great reminder to me as a parent to listen more instead of trying to tell him how he is feeling.  I give it a rating of Four Paws!


Good Night! Sweet Dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment