Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Review of Warrior of the Wild by Tricia Levenseller

Read for: Recently Added/ New Release

Synopsis: "How do you kill a god?

As her father's chosen heir, eighteen-year-old Rasmira has trained her whole life to become a warrior and lead her village. But when her coming-of-age trial is sabotaged and she fails the test, her father banishes her to the monster-filled wilderness with an impossible quest: to win back her honour, she must kill the oppressive god who claims tribute from the villages each year or die trying."

My Review: As soon as I heard about this book I knew I wanted to read it. While I wasn't a huge fan of the Daughter of the Pirate King audio books, I am always all in for Viking books. In my opinion this really isn't much of a viking story, other than the use of axes and honor system. Again, like the previous books by Levenseller, I was not a fan of the main character, Ras is over confident and abrasive and so selfish for the most part. I was also not thrilled to see yet again parents who simply use their children but no one sees it until it is too late, I am getting a little tired of the horrible parent trope. I did like how the romance didn't take over the story too much, though when it did take a front seat for a bit, it was awkward and threw me a bit out of the story. I did see the twist coming a pretty long way off but like how it played out in the end. With all that said, there is a lot of action, but spread out to allow the characters time to recover, and it keeps the pages turning quickly.

My Rating: So this was marketed as a Viking Fantasy stand alone with a badass female warrior; well it kind of fell through on the Viking aspect and while Rasmira is definitely a warrior and can be a bad-ass, I found her annoying.  Sadly, it didn't hold up to the hype that has been building for nearly a year, this was one of my most anticipated books of the year.  It was still entertaining with all the action so I will give it a rating in the middle of the road of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment