Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Review of Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate

Read for: Recently Added

Synopsis: "A man I helped to settle here
taught me a saying from Africa.
I'll bet you would like it: 
A cow is God with a wet nose.

Kek comes from Africa where he lived with his mother, father, and brother. But only he and his mother have survived. Now she's missing, and Kek has been sent to a new home. In America, he sees snow for the first time, and feels its sting. He wonders if the people in this new place will be like the winter--cold and unkind. But slowly he makes friends: a girl in foster care, an old woman with a rundown farm, and a sweet, sad cow that reminds Kek of home. As he waits for word of his mother's fate, Kek weathers the tough Minnesota winter by finding warmth in his new friendships, strength in his memories, and belief in his new country."

My Review: I picked this book up completely on a whim, after really loving Wishtree earlier this year. I simultaneously listened and read this one and it was so worth it! I loved that it was written in verse but it still told the story in a way that allowed you to connect with the characters and story. I found Kek to be a very inspiring character, after all the ugliness in the world he still finds good in small things and finds hope and joy against all odds. Hannah is a character that we should all strive to be, especially in the world we live in now, kind and understanding and willing to offer a hand in help and friendship. I don't know how anyone could read this story without shedding a tear or two and finding a bit of extra kindness blossoming in their soul.

My Rating: I really enjoyed this one and almost wish that I had read it slower so I could enjoy this first time reading it just a bit more, I will never get to read it for the first time again.  I highly recommend the audio, it was fantastic and I fully intend on reading this again in the next couple of years with Munchkin.  I give it a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!

No comments:

Post a Comment