Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Popular Series I Have No Interest in Reading

Top 5 Wednesday is a group on Goodreads hosted by Sam from Thoughts on Tomes on Youtube.


This is the final week of freebie topics for Top 5 Wednesday and this week I wanted to highlight a subject I have been wanting to talk about anyway, popular books and series I really have no interest in reading. Some of these are extremely popular and even in my favored genre of fantasy but for one reason or another I really have no interest in reading them.  


So here we go . . .


  
  
As beautiful as some of the covers are and as many people I hear listing them and Cassandra Clare as favorites, I really have never had an interest in reading any of the books in the Shadow Hunters realm. I am completely over the urban fantasy thing and will only pick up books from series or authors I have previously read.


  

Warcross & on that same note Ready Player One.  I am not a gamer, never have been and never will be and have a feeling I would really struggle relating to these books or even the idea of them.


  
Darker Shade of Magic Series, again some of my most trusted fantasy reader friends have listed this among their favorite series of all time.  I have in the past really struggled with books set in London, and trying to wrap my head around 3 or 4 different Londons in different realms, no thank you.


  
Again the covers of the Red Queen series are beautiful and I have heard a lot of readers really enjoyed at least the first book or two but I have also heard that it is really cliche. For me there are just too many other fantastic and unique books out there to waste my time on something that is cliche and possibly goes downhill as the series continues, so I am going to pass.


Finally, I think I really missed the boat on the Percy Jackson series. It is a long series and is written for Middle Grade readers. After struggling so much with Harry Potter, I just don't see myself enjoying this series either nor do I have the desire to try to catch up with it and all the other branch off series.  This is the only one on the list I foresee possibly picking up, only because if Munchkin wants to read it some day I will read it as well.





So what popular books have you opted not to read? Is there anything that you don't feel is worth the hype?

6 comments:

  1. I don’t blame you for not wanting to read the Percy Jackson books. I found them too childish for me. I want to try most of these series but I’m not chomping at the bit. Since you don’t like gaming I wouldn’t bother with Ready Player One.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that about the Percy Jackson series from a few people, if you didn't read them when you were younger, they are really hard to get into.

      Delete
  2. I am also not going to read Cassandra Clare's series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I am not the only one skipping those, I know so many love them but the premise doesn't really appeal to me and I don't want to jump into another unending series.

      Delete
  3. Percy Jackson and The Infernal Devices are amazing series, they are my favorite! However, I didn't enjoy the Mortal Instruments and Kane Chronicles. I am not a gamer too, which is why I have no interest in reading Warcross.

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I had read Percy Jackson when I was younger, I would have loved them, I love mythology, but now I feel like I wouldn't enjoy them as much as I would other books. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete