Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Readalong Wrap Up & Review of Anne of Green Gable by L.M. Montgomery



As promised here are the answers to the final discussion on the Anne of Green Gables readalong.  I am happy I was able to read this book with a great group of fellow book bloggers and friends.  The final discussion was posted on Jenni's Blog Friday the 31st.  They are also having a movie party, which I may try to join in from my home, depending on schedule, this Friday, April 6th.

1. Is this your first time reading Anne of Green Gables or a reread? Either way, what did you think about it?'
This was my first time reading Anne of Green Gables, and even now that I am finished I am still not 100% sure about my feelings. It is hard to say you enjoyed the book when the main character was not to your liking, but some of the side characters were really intriguing.  I am also not sure if everyone else's opinion on it is skewing mine slightly. It was an okay book, I did become attached to a few of the characters and I did like the development of the characters as the story progressed, but would I read it again, I don't think so.

2. If this is your first time reading Anne of Green Gables, do you plan to read the rest of the series? If you’ve read Anne of Green Gables before, have you read the rest of the series? What do you think about it?
I am not sure, I did like the way that Anne matured at the end of the book, her character was much more to my liking, and it makes me think that the next books will be more to my liking.  Also I only got a brief glimpse of this Gilbert that everyone keeps raving about, and I am at least a little curious about why everyone is all swoony about him other than the couple of things in this book.

3. Who is your favorite character and why?
My favorite character definitely Matthew, he is such a gentle and quite soul but the kindest and sweetest person out there. I love his quite way.  I also really connected with Marilla, I found so many similarities between her and myself, at times it was a little eye opening. 

4. Who is your least favorite character and why?
I know everyone else loves her but I really couldn't stand Anne for the first 3/4 of the book. I couldn't stand how dramatic and talkative she was and also the overly imaginative way she has also irritated me. I did like her optimism and determination but overall she was not a character who appealed to me at all.

5. What was your favorite scene and why?
It is hard to say what my favorite scene was, I do like how Gilbert rescued Anne from the bridge and had asked for forgiveness and friendship, even though she denied him, he continued to be kind.  I also love the scene where Matthew tries to buy fabric for a dress with puff sleeves but is unable to get it out. I am glad he was able to talk to Ms. Rachel and finally get the dress done.

6. What did you think about the last third of the book and why?
I really enjoyed the final third of the book! I like that Anne finally matured, she was less overly energetic. I would like to say less dramatic but she did have a tendency towards drama but it was less over the top.  Maybe it was the fact that the last third of the book really seemed to skim over several years while the first 2 thirds were extremely detailed with only a year or two.  


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I really struggled to read the print book of Anne and I had heard great things about Rachel McAdams narration, so I switched to the audio version for the readalong and I am very glad I did. She really captured Anne and the essence of the story.



My Review: So many readers have said this was one of their favorites from childhood. I never read any of the Anne books before, I was more of a Laura Ingalls Wilder girl. Anyway, several of my favorite book bloggers were having a readalong this month so I figured now was a great time to read it. I really struggled with the kindle edition so I switched to the audio book narrated by Rachel McAdams. Rachel McAdams really did seem to capture the voice and personality of Anne, and while Anne drove me absolutely nuts, I can appreciate the fact that the narration was spot on. It is difficult to really enjoy a book when the main character is a person that grates on your nerves constantly, but lucky for me there was a great cast of supporting characters that I could really enjoy. I adored Matthew and I found a real connection with Marilla. I did like the fact that Anne was so true to herself and was so optimistic given her upbringing, and I found the final 5 or so chapters to be great as Anne finally started maturing and really coming into her own a bit. I can see how some people really love this book but it really wasn't for me, but I am glad I did read it. 

My Rating: I have to say if I didn't read this with a group I definitely would have DNFed it within the first 50 or so pages.  I am glad I did push on and find out that Anne matured and got to know some of the other characters, but it won't be at the top of any of my recommendation lists or re-read lists. I give it a rating of Two Paws.


6 comments:

  1. I’m glad you stuck with it and that it didn’t completely disappoint. I read this one as a kid but never had any desire to finish the series. My friend had me read Anne’s House of Dreams because it was her favorite and I was only like warm about it BUT Anne does mature after this first book. I prefer the mini series. Have you watched it? It’s so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen any of the shows or movies before. I do plan to watch the movie this week. I am glad that I am not the only one who found it a big meh.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you finished it and that Anne matured to the point that you were able to stand her more. I'm sorry the book wasn't more to your liking. But, I'm glad you still found some of your own kindred spirits in Matthew and Marilla. Thanks for participating in the readalong. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I found a connection with some of the characters, and I am very glad I had a reason to push through to the end because it was definitely worth it to get there and see the character development. Thanks for hosting and pushing me to finish!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you pushed through! And I'm glad you liked the last bit of the book. Thanks for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I had some friends to read the book with and help me get through it and I am glad I finally read it and gave Anne a chance.

      Delete