Saturday, December 9, 2017

Advent Reads Day 9: His Christmas Sweetheart by Cathy David

Welcome to Advent Reads!
This is an event I have had on my blog for several years running now.  Each evening I feature a different holiday themed book. Think of it as your Book Advent Calendar! I post a variety of holiday books including romance, children's, middle-grade, mystery, paranormal, and I try to find some that are other holiday celebrations than Christmas too. I hope you will stop by each evening to see what new book I have for you!

Read for: Recently Added to Shelves

Synopsis: "A HOLIDAY FOR HEALING

Nothing's been simple in Sweetheart, Nevada, since the wildfire that ravaged the charming little town. Miranda Staley is among those who've sworn to stay on and bring Sweetheart back to life. She loves running a group home for the elderly, but it's getting difficult to keep her business going. She could lose everything she's worked so hard to create.

On the day of the fire, Will Desarro helped save some of Miranda's elderly residents. The handsome ranch hand is a man of few words, but Miranda soon discovers that beneath that quiet exterior beats a heart of gold. Will can help save Miranda's home and her business—but only if their love is strong enough to conquer his painful past."


My Review: I received this on while I was at the Fall in Love With New England romance convention and thought it would be perfect to read going into the holiday season. I was never really able to connect with either of the characters, both had a lot of issues and baggage. The way that the anxiety and PTSD was presented really didn't sit all that well with me, especially since not only was treatment not sought out but that no one noticed in 5 years. I found Miranda to be awfully pushy, and the romance was rushed especially with the obstacles in the way. The holiday feel was also really missing from the story, other than some cold weather and a few mentions of gifts, dinners and plans it was really just another day. Really an eh book for me.

My Rating: This book did not work for me at all, I was hoping for a feel good Christmas romance but the lack of holiday celebration and the use of a mental illness as a plot device just set me off on the wrong foot.  I give it a rating of One Paw.

No comments:

Post a Comment