Thursday, December 28, 2017

2017 Graphic Novel Challenge Wrap Up & Favorites

Today I thought I would wrap up my Graphic Novel Challenge for the year (even though I plan to read one more before the end of the year - I will just tack it on to next year maybe).  Again you can see my original challenge post for the year HERE.  I had set a goal of 25 Graphic Novels (which yes I know doesn't apply to all of those listed here as most are Trades and not actual Graphic Novels but for ease of tracking I put them all together on this list).  I definitely accomplished that goal by reading a total of 30 this year!

3. Princeless Vol. 1
4. Will & Whit
5. The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 1: The Faust Act
6. Nimona
7. The Sculptor
8. Huck: Book 1 - All American
9. Donald Duck: Vicious Cycles
10. Over the Garden Wall Vol. 1
11. Saga Vol. 5
12. Saga Vol. 6
13. Angel Catbird Vol. 1
14. Local
15. Supergirl Vol. 1: Last Daughter of Krypton
16. Wonder Woman Vol. 2: Year One
17. Monstress Vol. 2: The Blood
18. The Tea Dragon Society
19. Everyone's a Aliebn When Ur a Aliebn Too
20. Saga Vol. 7
21. This One Summer
22. Huntress: Crossbow at the Crossroads
23. The Shadow Glass
24. Frankenstein Underground
25. She and Her Cat
26. Klaus
27. Piper
28. Northlanders Vol. 5: Metal and Other Stories
29. Northstars Vol. 1: Welcome to Snowville
30. This One Summer


Top Graphic Novels Read in 2017
As with years passed I have really bounced around a lot in this genre, I have dabbled in different types of novels, from Middle Grade to fantasy to super hero to memoir, there are so many options and definitely something for everyone.  But these are my favorites that I read this year . . .


This doesn't appear to be a popular opinion, but I really enjoyed this slightly different approach to a super hero book.  The art work in it is right up my alley and I thoroughly enjoyed myself while reading it, sadly there doesn't appear to be any kind of plans to continue with it.


I am glad the investment in this one was worth it, I really enjoyed this play on good and evil for Santa's back story. A slightly darker read for the holidays but still with that same feel good at the end. The art is also so detailed and amazing that I just wanted to keep looking at it!

I read this one so early in 2017 that it almost slipped my mind but I really enjoyed this new take on fairy tales and empowering girls to help themselves.  I will definitely be tracking down more in this series in the next year or so because it was full of some really quirky characters and fun story lines.

Honestly, even if you aren't into comics or graphic novels, this might still be a must read book! The characters are so well developed, quirky and multi dimensional that you can't help but come to care for them.  The story is also revolves around good and evil but with some great play with the gray areas that readers can relate to in real life.  

This one is so me that I couldn't help but add it to this list, I adore everything about it, the art style, the characters, the story line, and most of all the unique creativity of it. If you want something cutesy but with a great fantasy story don't hesitate to pick this one up!





Again, I would love to hear about your favorites of the year! Have you read any of these? Do you have any recommendations for me for the coming year?

2 comments:

  1. I think I only read two GNs in 2017. You did awesome! I’m remembering now that I wanted to check some of these out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really come to enjoy GNs and am so happy with the variety I have picked up over the year. I have more in the coming year that I am so excited to read and share. I hope you will pick up a couple, even if you don't read GNs some of these are just too good to pass up.

      Delete