Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Series Review of Sons of the Revolution by Shana Galen

I have been trying to figure out a way to share all these books I read with you but still include other non-review posts on the blog.  One method I have come up with was to share the reviews for an entire series (or pair) of books in one post.  I will do my absolute best to keep spoilers out of these posts in case you plan to read the books, but there is a slight chance that even the synopsis of a book can give away the result of the previous book. So if you don't want to know anything at all about the later books in a series that might giveaway something in the first book STOP READING NOW!
 
 
Synopsis: "Julien Harcourt, Duc de Valère, still searches for his brothers in France, raising suspicion of British Secret Service. Duke Northrop orders governess Sarah Smith, surname for her orphan status, to pose as Seraphina, the Duc's intended, and prove Julien a traitor working for Napoleon. Sara disagrees and follows Julien from London ballrooms to Paris dungeons. Plus preview."

My Review: I was due for a good historical romance and this book didn't disappoint. I really enjoyed Sara and Julien as individual characters and together. Some of the developments were a little predictable but were still enjoyable to read with these characters. The introduction of additional characters really makes me look forward to reading the next book in the series, though it would be satisfying to just read this on it's own too.
 
My Rating: I was so pleasantly surprised with this book, it was a time period I haven't read much in before and this was an interesting perspective.  I so enjoyed it and look forward to the rest of the books.  I give it a rating of Four Paws.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Synopsis: "Twelve years in a French prison leave Armand Harcourt a hollow shell. Back in England, his noble family hire Felicity Bennett to teach him manners and speech. Desire shakes both, and heals their past scars in surprising dangerous ways."

My Review: I enjoyed the previous book in this series and am glad I decided to continue with it because I enjoyed this one even more. I loved Armand, he is a great character who has so much room to develop and grow through the story. Felicity is also a fantastic character, one you can't help but root for throughout the book. I think their storyline is even more intriguing than Julien and Sarah's with much more danger and excitement throughout. It was light and entertaining and a very fast read that you won't be able to put down.
 
My Rating: Wow, this series is just getting better! I loved the characters so much, granted they don't act really appropriate for the time period but I think that rebellious behavior endeared them to me even more. I give this one a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 Synopsis: "1802. France. After escaping France on a privateer's ship, Sébastien Harcourt, Marquis de Valère, becomes notorious privateer Captain Cutlass and crosses swords with the beautiful daughter of a British admiral. Raeven Russell wants to avenge her fiancé's death. Bastien wants Jourdain, to avenge his mentor's death. But vengeance melts in the heat of passion."

My Review: I have been absolutely inhaling this trilogy, and I thought the second book was my favorite but this might be a very close contender. It is hard to beat a historical romance with pirates! I absolutely loved the characters, both of them were fantastic, unique and had plenty of backstory to get to know them. The back and forth between Bastien and Raeven was so much fun to read and kept the pages turning. I also really enjoyed the strategies and action that was packed into this story. I am really sad to see this series end, but glad I can re-read the books and revisit the characters in this series.
 
My Rating: While I am so sad to see this series end, I do think this was a great conclusion to the series. And Pirates!! I give this a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
Full Series Review: I can't believe I left this series sitting for so long on my shelves. While most of the characters behaved a little brazenly for the time period, it was still a very interesting perspective to the French Revolution. I really enjoyed each of the characters, they were all unique and entertaining. If you are looking for a historical romance series definitely check this one out.  I do believe there is another novella for this series but it is in an anthology and I will not be reading it at this time, even though I really do love these characters.  I give this series as a whole a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag.
 
 
 
Do you enjoy historical fiction or romance? What is your favorite time period to read? Have you ever read any of Shana Galen's books? Any recommendation of which of hers to pick up next?
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I enjoy historical fiction even if it's just a snippet of historical and a lot of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This did have a lot of historical events and it stuck pretty close to the time period, the only thing was the female characters were all a little bold for the time, not that I mind, I prefer strong and confident go-getter female characters.

      Delete