Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Banned Book Week: The Giver by Lois Lowry

When I originally picked up this book, I had no idea it was on the banned/challenged book list. To me it was a highly recommended book that I had not yet read. Now I know that it has been on the ALA's challenged/banned book for the past two decades! Rather than rambling on and on about this, I found one article that summed everything about the Giver being a banned book including a perfect quote from Lois Lowry herself. Check it out at Walden Media.
 
 
 
Synopsis: "This haunting story centers on Jonas, who lives in a seemingly ideal, if colorless, world of conformity and contentment. Not until he's given his life assignment as the Receiver of Memory does he begin to understand the dark, complex secrets behind his fragile community."

My Review: I wasn't really sure what to think of this book when I started, I had heard it raved about but didn't know much else. It is a slow moving book that allows the ideas to sink in and gives you time to absorb. I can imagine this book could be brilliant in an active discussion group or class. Some of the ideas presented sound brilliant until you ponder on the longer and larger impact. I think it is a book that can be applied to current events no matter the era and what is happening. I did feel a little let down at the end of the book, I wasn't looking for a happy ending tied up in a bow but a little more closure would have been nice (I do realize it is part of a series but I don't know if I will continue with it).
 
My Rating: While this isn't the most exciting read, it is a hard hitting book that really makes you pause and think about what happens around us on a day to day basis. I give it a rating of Four Paws.
 
 
 
Have you read The Giver? How do you feel about using censorship to bring everyone to the same level and expectations?

4 comments:

  1. Love this book! Why is it banned!? Where is it banned!? So frustrating!

    The rest of the series is disjointed. You don't see Jonas or Gabe until Son. The other books are about different characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find out all the banned and challenged books from the American Library Association website - http://www.ala.org/bbooks/about

      The reasons for banning or challenging The Giver are most often for violence and it is not suited to the age group, or too dark for young readers. The place it is most often challenged is in Texas but has been challenged in several states.

      I was wondering when we get to see them again because the next book synopsis had no mention of either of them. I may have to give it a shot.

      Delete
  2. This is one I've been meaning to read forever. Just so I can say I have, really. It's not too long and I think I'd like it well enough but I still never pick it up. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a fairly quick read, and is pretty engrossing. It is hard to reach for these classics with so many great new books distracting us but it will be worth it.

      Delete