Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Review of The Ice Dragon by George R. R. Martin

Read For: Mount TBR Print & Because it is so beautiful!
 
Synopsis: "The ice dragon was a creature of legend and fear, for no man had ever tamed one. When it flew overhead, it left in its wake desolate cold and frozen land. But Adara was not afraid. For Adara was a winter child, born during the worst freeze that anyone, even the Old Ones, could remember.
Adara could not remember the first time she had seen the ice dragon. It seemed that it had always been in her life, glimpsed from afar as she played in the frigid snow long after the other children had fled the cold. In her fourth year she touched it, and in her fifth year she rode upon its broad, chilled back for the first time. Then, in her seventh year, on a calm summer day, fiery dragons from the North swooped down upon the peaceful farm that was Adara's home. And only a winter child--and the ice dragon who loved her--could save her world from utter destruction.
The Ice Dragon marks the highly anticipated children's book debut of George R.R. Martin, the award-winning author of the New York Times best-selling series A Song of Ice and Fire and is set in the same world. Illustrated with lush, exquisitely detailed pencil drawings by acclaimed artist Yvonne Gilbert, The Ice Dragon is an unforgettable tale of courage, love, and sacrifice by one of the most honored fantasists of all time."



My Review: As soon as I saw this book I had to get it, the illustrated version that I own is unbelievably beautiful with illustrations all throughout the book. It did once again remind me while I opted to watch the Game of Thrones on TV as opposed to continue reading the series (after book 3), I am not a fan of Martin's narration style. This book while it read like an old folks tale, was very jerky in the sentence phrasing and storyline. It goes into description of things that ended up not mattering at all in the story. With that said I still really enjoyed the fantasy and touch of magic and adventure in the book. So it went down a couple of stars for the things I didn't enjoy but back up a star for the insane beauty of the book.
 
My Rating: It was so hard to rate this book, I loved the story and the illustrations blew me away but the writing was not my favorite. I have to settle with a little bit above middle with Three Paws.
 
 
I have to share some of the illustrations with all of you, they are just too stunning! Please excuse the color of the second photo, I am not the greatest with my phone's settings.
 


2 comments:

  1. The illustrations are beautiful. I've yet to read anything by Martin. I'm a little worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get over how beautiful the illustrations are, I wish I could have shown every page! I think maybe start with this book before diving into the larger books because I feel like you either love or hate his style.

      Delete