Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Review of Pontoon by Garrison Keillor

Read for: Mount TBR, Audio Books & Reading Across the States
 
Synopsis: "The first new Lake Wobegon novel in seven years is a cause for celebration. And Pontoon is nothing less than a spectacular return to form?replete with a bowling ball-urn, a hot-air balloon, giant duck decoys, a flying Elvis, and, most importantly, Wally?s pontoon boat. As the wedding of the decade approaches (accompanied by wheels of imported cheese and giant shrimp shish kebabs), the good-loving people of Lake Wobegon do what they do best: drive each other slightly crazy."

My Review: The whole reason I would listen to talk radio when I was younger was because of Keillor's Lake Wobegon tales, they were always so comical, and growing up a Lutheran from MN and living in a tiny town, they were very relatable. For some reason I have found his full length novels to be pessimistic and depressing. They are always looking at the negative side of things, and this book really was no different. There was a lot of talk about death and how miserable everyone's life had become. It was difficult to get through the book, I kept waiting for a good laugh or at least something I could relate to but it didn't come until the very end of the book. I got about 45 minutes of the Lake Wobegon that I recognize (and actually did remember as part of it was from one of the stories from the radio) and could laugh, this was of course after pushing myself to listen to nearly 8 hours of judgmental, negative characters.
 
My Rating: I was pretty disappointed but I had read one of his before and it was like this too so I was a little prepared for it to be such a downer. I can't give it more than a rating of One Paw and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment