Thursday, April 16, 2015

After Dark Review of The Unleashing by Shelly Laurenston

I have added After Dark Reviews to my blog as a way of notifying you of a review of a book with Adult themes and scenes. From now on I will keep my reviews of all books I read that have explicit scenes in them for late night posts for those of you who prefer to avoid them or easy to find for those of you who seek them out ;)
 
 
 
Synopsis: "Kera Watson never expected to face death behind a Los Angeles coffee shop. Not after surviving two tours lugging an M16 around the Middle East. If it wasn’t for her hot Viking customer showing up too late to help, nobody would even see her die.

In uncountable years of service to the Allfather Odin, Ludvig “Vig” Rundstrom has never seen anyone kick ass with quite as much style as Kera. He knows one way to save her life—but she might not like it. Signing up with the Crows will get Kera a new set of battle buddies: cackling, gossiping, squabbling, party-hearty women. With wings. So not the Marines.

But Vig can’t give up on someone as special as Kera. With a storm of oh-crap magic speeding straight for L.A., survival will depend on combining their strengths: Kera’s discipline, Vig’s loyalty… and the Crows’ sheer love of battle. Boy, are they in trouble."


My Review: I am a little so-so with this book. I really want to like it, I am a big fan of Norse mythology and gods but I just can't make myself rave about it. There wasn't as much involvement of the gods/goddesses or myths as I had expected. The world building seemed to be the real problem for me, it took a lot of time to create the setting and new information, in fact it took almost the entire book to really put all the pieces together, while that is great for some books this one just felt like Laurenston just wasn't sure how to get all the info out there and would just dump at random times. I wasn't a huge fan of Kera until the end and most of the other Crows were unbelievable irritating (except Jace, I adore Jace) and I ended up preferring the Ravens even though they are nearly all sub-characters. I did enjoy the 'training to fight' scene with Kera, that was really the best part of the book for me and all too short. I am not really sure if I will continue to the next book when it comes out, I guess it really depends on what characters will be featured.
 
 
My Rating: I am so on the fence with this one, it has so many aspects that I love but it just didn't quite come together. I may give this series another try when the next book is released.  I give it a rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.

4 comments:

  1. I was really disappointed with this one :/ I ended up DNFing at about 40%. I love her books usually but this one I had that irritation with the Crows. I know a lot of her characters have that crazy to them but usually in an endearing way for me some how? Ah well. Hope if you give the next a go it works better for ya. I'm going to give this one another attempt at some point and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I usually love her characters. With the shifter books she does a great job of adding that animalistic touch to their personalities. This one the characters were definitely too out there and were horribly annoying.

      Delete
  2. Well dang! I was really loving the cover and idea behind this one. I guess you can't win them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is fantastic, if only the book held up to it. Granted I did like Vig (who I assume is supposed to the cover character).

      Delete