Thursday, February 12, 2015

After Dark Review of North of Need by Laura Kaye

I have added After Dark Reviews to my blog as a way of notifying you of a review of a book with Adult themes and scenes. From now on I will keep my reviews of all books I read that have explicit scenes in them for late night posts for those of you who prefer to avoid them or easy to find for those of you who seek them out ;)
 
Read For: Series Challenge & Re-Read Challenge
 
Synopsis: "While attempting to escape the agonizing memories she associates with Christmas, twenty-nine-year-old widow Megan Snow builds a snow family outside the mountain cabin she once shared with her husband-and collapses in tears against the snowman at the sight of what she'll never have. Called to life by the power of Megan's tears, snow god Owen Winters appears unconscious on her doorstep in the midst of a raging blizzard. As she nurses him to health, Owen finds unexpected solace in her company and unimagined pleasure in the warmth of her body, and vows to win her heart for a chance at humanity. Megan is drawn to Owen's mismatched eyes, otherworldly masculinity, and enthusiasm for the littlest things, and her heart opens enough to believe he's a Christmas miracle. But this miracle comes with an expiration-before the snow melts and the temperature rises, Megan must let go of her widow's grief and learn to trust love again, or she'll lose Owen forever."

My Review: I just finished re-reading this one (I read it when it first came out) and this was my original introduction to Kaye (I am now a huge fan and buy everything she puts out). I did notice upon re-reading, it didn't hold the same emotional turmoil and suspense as it did the first time, but I think I just was anticipating what was on the next page or in the next chapter. It was fun to watch the blending of Owen's happy and eager personality blending with Megan's tentative and guarded one again. I love Boreas, he is the best even though he plays such a small part in the book. Now I can finally move on to the rest of the books that have been waiting so patiently for me to re-read this one.
  
 
My Rating: This wasn't quite as good the second time around but with that said, it did originally introduce me to one of my favorite authors so there is something to be said about that.  I give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.

2 comments:

  1. I always worry about re-reading and that happening. I don't re-read often since I don;'t have time but then this too. Especially some of the earlier ones that now that I've read hundreds in the genre probably wouldn't be quite as remarkable even if still enjoyable.

    I think this was my first of Kaye's books too. Hrms. Glad it was still a good time for ya :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually take so long between re-reads that it doesn't matter, or if I do re-read it is because I love the book so much that it doesn't matter either. It was kind of sad because I knew how emotional I was when I first read this book, but it was good to get back into the mind set for the rest of the series.

      Delete