Thursday, November 6, 2014

Review of Giving Chase by Hannah Hooton

 
Synopsis: "There has only ever been one man in Frankie’s life: her father, Doug Cooper. That is, until she takes the job of amateur jockey at Aspen Valley Racing Stables. Here, in the rolling countryside of southwest England, she crosses paths with star rider, Rhys Bradford. Her crush on him would be made so much simpler if they didn’t both have their hearts set on the same prize: the coveted ride on Grand National favourite, Peace Offering.

In the turbulent run-up to National Hunt’s biggest event, questions are raised. What exactly does Doug have against the Bradfords? Is Rhys playing games with her heart? Will Ta’ Qali show his true potential in time to warrant his place at Aspen Valley? Why do there have to be so many blasted calories in strawberry cheesecake? And lastly, who exactly is Francesca Cooper?

Frankie’s curiosity unearths some long-buried secrets which their keepers would rather remain buried, and on a journey of self-discovery that takes in Britain’s fiercest steeplechase courses, love will prove her costliest stumbling point."



My Review: I had a hard time while reading this book, it involves horses so I should already like it but the unfamiliar setting pushed it out of my comfort level. I also didn't really connect with the characters, I found Frankie to be an immature drama queen who is terrified of her job so does it horribly, and Rhys is just that mysterious, dark guy who is now required in every book since Twilight. The only redeeming characters for me were Tom and Ta'Qali. The storyline was also very all over the place and it felt like there were a lot of random tangents that had no supporting qualities. All in all a disappointment for me.
  
 
My Rating: This was a real up and down book for me but in the end I can only give it a rating of One Paw and a Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment