Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Review of The Secret at Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery by R.M. Clark

 
Synopsis: "Twelve-year-old April O'Day's summer has gotten off to a flying start. As the new bat retriever for the Harpoons, her hometown's minor league team, she's fetching bats and doling out great advice to players and coaches alike. In a word, she's becoming indispensable. But mysterious things are happening at Haney Field, which April and her best friend - and fellow baseball enthusiast - Darren Plummer are determined to uncover. As they quickly learn, this is no ordinary season. In fact, it's a whole new ball game."

My Review: I thought this book would be perfect for a summer read and would be great for those kids out of school. I also love the fact that it is a relatively local book for me and really enjoyed the mention of local towns and teams I recognize. It was a very interesting story line and concept and I think that was well done and will keep the readers turning the pages, eager to find out what happens. The main drawback for me was the lead character, April, she just felt like too much of a know it all and it really put me off with her instructions and almost cockiness. Thankfully the sub-characters really were great.
 
My Rating: I really was happy with the conclusion of the book and the message sent to this younger generation coming up about righting our past wrongs.  I kind of wished the main character, April, was a little more likable and maybe a little humble but that was offset nicely with the rest of the characters.  I give it a rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.
 
 
This book was sent to me by the author for an honest review. 
 
You can find out more about Mr. Clark and his work on his Goodreads Page or Website.
 
The Secret at Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery is due for release on September 16th, so keep your eyes open and get your hands on a copy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment