Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Review of The Samaritan's Pistol by Eric Bishop

 
Synopsis: "Even among his small town neighbors, Jim is a content man. Despite the emotional baggage from his time serving in Desert Storm, he successfully runs a ranch, owns several beautiful horses, and makes extra cash as a wilderness guide for wealthy tourists. He's a modern-day cowboy.

That is, until he runs into an ongoing mob-hit while riding in the mountains. Now, his most beloved horse is bleeding to death, three mobsters are dead from his smoking gun, and a wounded criminal is begging for his help. Jim has to make a decision. He can either high-tail it out of there, or accept a tempting offer made by the criminal—a promise of millions in stolen mafia cash for any help he gives.

Of course, only an idiot would turn down such an appealing offer when they’re marked for death anyway. Besides, Jim’s good nature cannot allow him to leave someone for dead, even a criminal.

Soon, Jim finds himself on a trip to retrieve a truckload of stolen money near the Las Vegas strip, right under the Mafia’s nose. But even if they escape with the cash, will Jim’s conservative neighbors provide sanctuary for their local Samaritan, and how far will the mafia go for revenge?"


My Rating: This is outside of my normal reading genres, but I am always willing to step outside of the box for something that catches my attention like Samaritan's Pistol. There were so many great elements to the story right off the bat and with the strong characters to carry you through the book. I immediately liked Jim and his rough but gentle cowboy ways. As each additional character was introduced I liked them as well (Brody and Skinner both quickly became favorites). The story line was also very interesting, Jim getting caught up in the Mafia when he seems to prefer his quiet way of life. There was a good deal of action during the story but definitely had some lulls, and those lulls didn't really convey suspense to me. While I enjoyed the book it didn't put me on the edge of my seat. The end was left wide open for a sequel, which I believe Bishop is working on, but could still be enjoyed on its own. For those of you who follow my blog or my reviews know I recently DNF a book for pushing religion, Samaritan's Pistol introduced religion as well, but this book is the way you should present it! The religion is part of the book but it doesn't take over and doesn't force it down your throat, I really appreciated that aspect.
 
My Rating: While I really enjoyed the book and especially the characters it didn't really scream suspense or thriller to me, so that was a little bit of a let down, but it was still a good book.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.
 
 
The Samaritan's Pistol was sent to me by the Publicist for an honest review.
 
 
You can find out more about Eric Bishop and his work on his Goodreads Page or Website.
 
You can also obtain your own copy of The Samaritan's Pistol in digital or print format on Amazon or Barnes & Noble
 

2 comments:

  1. I love to step out of my comfort zones too!!! In fact I make a goal of it. I like to be surprised and not getting the normal plot that I am used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a risk to step out there, but sometime you get lucky and find something new and unique.

      Delete