Saturday, May 11, 2013

Graphic Novel Review of Northlanders Vol. 1 - Sven the Returned


Synopsis: "Meet Sven, an exiled Viking prince who must return to the desolate lands of his birth to reclaim his vast inheritance upon the death of his father.

In this first volume collecting NORTHLANDERS #1-8, DMZ writer Brian Wood stabs Viking lore in the face with a fresh take on what it means to be a warrior. See why Entertainment Weekly calls it "a well-reserched, richly realized world that illuminates politics and culture without getting bogged down in history-book stuff.""


My Review: If you want a graphic novel with some good battles but don't want a fantasy or super heroes this is the one for you. I actually really enjoyed this novel a lot, I don't normally enjoy a lot of gore but this one wasn't over done, but it also didn't soften the brutality of the Vikings or the time period. I will definitely be getting the next volume. The nice thing was that Sven's story is wrapped up in this novel so you don't wonder what happens but you do want to continue with the various Viking stories Wood might present.
 
My Rating: I really enjoyed this graphic novel, this history, the brutality, and the characters all meshed to make a fantastic story. I give it a rating of Four Paws.

No comments:

Post a Comment