Thursday, March 8, 2012

After Dark Review of North of Need by Laura Kaye

I have added After Dark Reviews to my blog as a way of notifying you of a review of a book with Adult themes and scenes. From now on I will keep my reviews of all books I read that have explicit scenes in them for late night posts for those of you who prefer to avoid them or easy to find for those of you who seek them out ;)


Synopsis: "Her tears called a powerful snow god to life, but only her love can grant the humanity he craves…

Desperate to escape agonizing memories of Christmas past, twenty-nine-year-old widow Megan Snow builds a snow family outside the mountain cabin she once shared with her husband, realizing too late that she’s recreated the very thing she’ll never have.

Called to life by Megan’s tears, snow god Owen Winters appears unconscious on her doorstep in the midst of a raging blizzard. As she nurses him to health, Owen finds unexpected solace in her company and unimagined pleasure in the warmth of her body, and vows to win her heart for a chance at humanity.

Megan is drawn to Owen’s mismatched eyes, otherworldly masculinity, and enthusiasm for the littlest things. But this Christmas miracle comes with an expiration—before the snow melts and the temperature rises, Megan must let go of her widow’s grief and learn to trust love again, or she’ll lose Owen forever."


My Review: Well this was a bit of a surprise for me! I started the book about a month ago and had to put it down. The pain and loneliness in the first few pages was almost too much and I couldn't read more. But I picked it back up yesterday and boy am I glad I did!! The characters, emotions and plot lines were great, they all sucked you into the book and held your attention. I have to say though Boreas had to be my favorite, though he was sub character and only appeared a few times throughout the book I absolutely loved him! I enjoyed the book but the last couple of chapters made the entire book worth reading, I was really excited about the round about way Kaye brought in environmental awareness, fantastic little tidbit! Kaye also showed great restraint when it came to the sex scenes, while they were scattered throughout the book, they weren't overwhelming and they didn't take away from the book as a whole or the story line, very nice to see for a change.

My Rating: I really did enjoy this book once I got into it, I think while I had a hard time with the first emotional part it was an important part of the story and worth reading.  I definitely give this one Four Paws and can't wait for the next book, West of Want, to come out in July!


No comments:

Post a Comment