Saturday, March 17, 2012

After Dark Review of A Lick of Frost by Laurell K. Hamilton

I have added After Dark Reviews to my blog as a way of notifying you of a review of a book with Adult themes and scenes. From now on I will keep my reviews of all books I read that have explicit scenes in them for late night posts for those of you who prefer to avoid them or easy to find for those of you who seek them out ;)



Synopsis: "I am Meredith Gentry, princess and heir apparent to the throne in the realm of faerie, onetime private investigator in the mortal world. To be crowned queen, I must first continue the royal bloodline and give birth to an heir of my own. If I fail, my aunt, Queen Andais, will be free to do what she most desires: install her twisted son, Cel, as monarch . . . and kill me.

My royal guards surround me, and my best loved–my Darkness and my Killing Frost–are always beside me, sworn to protect and make love to me. But still the threat grows greater. For despite all my carnal efforts, I remain childless, while the machinations of my sinister, sadistic Queen and her confederates remain tireless. So my bodyguards and I have slipped back into Los Angeles, hoping to outrun the gathering shadows of court intrigue. But even exile isn’t enough to escape the grasp of those with dark designs.

Now King Taranis, powerful and vainglorious ruler of faerie’s Seelie Court, has leveled accusations against my noble guards of a heinous crime–and has gone so far as to ask the mortal authorities to prosecute. If he succeeds, my men face extradition to faerie and the hideous penalties that await them there. But I know that Taranis’s charges are baseless, and I sense that his true target is me. He tried to kill me when I was a child. Now I fear his intentions are far more terrifying."


My Review: It is amazing how each one of the books in the Merry Gentry series is so different. While this one toned down the sex factor slightly from the last book, the court intrigue went through the roof and the story line took some very unexpected twists and turns. I don't think Lick of Frost ranked all that high in my list of favorites in this series but it was definitely a shock effect book. I did however really enjoy getting to know a little more about Frost and what makes him tick. It is difficult to discuss the book without giving away any spoilers, but I will say that once you finish, you can't wait to pick up the next book (which I did immediately even though I have read them before).


My Rating: While this one wasn't my favorite of the series it still sucked you in and made you turn the pages.  I give it a rating of Three Paws and Stump Wag.

No comments:

Post a Comment