Thursday, May 5, 2016

Series Review of Beasts of Olympus Books 1-4 by Lucy Coats

I have been trying to figure out a way to share all these books I read with you but still include other non-review posts on the blog.  One method I have come up with was to share the reviews for an entire series (or pair) of books in one post.  I will do my absolute best to keep spoilers out of these posts in case you plan to read the books, but there is a slight chance that even the synopsis of a book can give away the result of the previous book. So if you don't want to know anything at all about the later books in a series that might giveaway something in the first book STOP READING NOW!
 
 
 
Synopsis: "Beasts of Olympus is a series of 144-page illustrated chapter books set in a magical Ancient Greece where strange things still walk the Earth. Beast Keeper tells the story of Pandemonius (a.k.a. "Demon," the half-god son of Pan) who, on his tenth birthday, is called upon to look after all the mythical creatures that belong to the stables of Olympus."

My Review: This was a fun kick off too this series. It reminds me of the MG Series Goddess Girls but geared more toward boy readers. There are hints to the myths but it isn't a direct retelling, it is more behind the scenes. It might be a little bit of a slow read and not as much excitement is some readers might prefer but it is perfect for slower readers. The hints of humor is also perfect for the target audience too. All in all a fun book to draw you into the series.

My Rating: This was a fun and quick read, Demon is a quirky character that has quite an adventure that I think many readers will enjoy.  I give it a rating of Four Paws.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Synopsis: "An exciting new illustrated chapter book series set in a magical ancient Greece filled with heroic adventures, gods and goddesses, mythical beasts, and plenty of humor.

Pandemonious is summoned by the great god Hades to the Underworld. His most-hated hero, Heracles, has just returned Cerberus the three-headed dog Guardian of the Underworld to his god master—but something is wrong with the beast and only Pandemonious can help."


My Review: This series continues with an new problem to solve, this time in the Underworld. There is plenty of excitement and adventure in this book to keep those young readers involved and coming back for more. We meet more of the gods and mythical creatures in this book keeping things interesting, some of the regulars in the stables are also gaining more personality and becoming full characters in the book.
 
My Rating: I didn't enjoy this one quite as much, I think mainly because Hades is one of my favorite gods and he isn't presented really well in this story.  I still give it a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Synopsis: "Which mythical horse will win the race?

Beasts of Olympus is a series of illustrated chapter books set in a magical Ancient Greece where strange things still walk the Earth. In Steeds of the Gods, Demon, the official Olympian beast keeper, is caught between Helios and Poseidon, who are planning a race to see which of their steeds is the fastest. Both vengeful gods have requested Demon’s help, but he can choose only one."


My Review: The series is advancing nicely, you are really getting to know Demon, the mythical creatures he has to take care of and also many of the gods and goddesses of the myths. This book also adds in a moral dilemma Demon must face, and is possibly relatable in some way to the target audience. It continues to be entertaining and the bits of excitement will keep young readers engaged and ready for the next book.
 
My Rating: The steeds in this story aren't the ones you would expect but it I really like how this book continues to build up story lines, problems to solve, moral dilemmas and characters. Kids will be learning without even knowing they are.  I give it a rating of Four Paws.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
Synopsis: "Demon’s abilities are put to the test!

Beasts of Olympus is a series of illustrated chapter books set in a magical Ancient Greece where strange things still walk the Earth. In the fourth book, Demon must heal Ares’s smelly dragon in time for battle. Can he heal this sick beast before Olympus chokes on the stink?"


My Review: I really love the way this series adds more to each book, before it was a moral dilemma now it is more problem solving. This particular book will definitely appeal to young boy readers, they will get a real kick out of Demon's stinky new patient. I will continue to purchase these books for the future when Munchkin can enjoy them as well.
 
My Rating: Another really fun book in this series, it is building even more problem solving for both Demon and the readers.  I give this one a rating of Four Paws.
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
 
Series Review: This is only a review of these four books that I have read, and they are all that have been released in this series so far (I believe there are 2 more coming in the next year or so).  I think this is a great Middle Grade series, it starts off pretty easy and builds on the difficulty as the series progresses.  I do think it may appeal more to boys but can easily be enjoyed by girls as well. It is also a great introduction to mythology without recreating the traditional stories or using the gods and goddesses. I think that a lot of young readers will be captured by this series and keep coming back for more.  I give the series a rating of Four Paws as a whole and look forward to when more books are released!
 


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun, cute series. I hadn't heard of it till now. Is there more books or is this it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun and I like that it was geared more towards boys. I believe there are going to be at least 2 more books but these are the only ones released right now.

      Delete