Saturday, May 7, 2016

Graphic Novel Review of Dogs of War by Sheila Keenan

 
Synopsis: "Sheila Keenan's captivating stories, paired with Nathan Fox's stunning art, bring the heroic military actions of man's best friend to life!

Some war heroes heard the wind whistling over a hidden trip wire.
Some war heroes sniffed out a sniper 1,000 yards away.
Some war heroes stood tall . . . on four legs!

DOGS OF WAR is a graphic novel that tells the stories of the canine military heroes of World War I, World War II, and the Vietnam War. This collection of three fictional stories was inspired by historic battles and real military practice. Each story tells the remarkable adventures of a soldier and his service dog and is rendered with fascinating and beautiful detail, bringing to life the faithful dogs who braved bombs, barrages, and battles to save the lives of countless soldiers.

Based on the real-life roles of military dogs that served as Red Cross rescuers, messengers, scouts, search-and-rescue teams, sentries, and mascots, DOGS OF WAR captures both the adventure and the devastation brought on by war, as well as the celebrations of life and friendship between boys and their dogs."


My Review: This is a great graphic novel, probably one of the best I have picked up so far this year. I loved that it appeals to many ages, genders and interests alike. It contains 3 stories of dogs and handlers who have served in WWI, WWII and Vietnam. They are stories of courage and devotion as well as duty, and they aren't really along the lines of stories you have heard on the news or through main stream stories. I highly recommend this book!
 
My Rating: This was a fantastic graphic novel that again appeals to a wide variety of audiences, male/female, young/old. They are also stories that are based on real life stories and ones I had never heard of before.  All around fantastic, this one gets Four Paws and a Stump Wag!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a dog lover, and I just can't pass up this book!! It sounds awesome! This is the danger of reading blogs. My TBR list gets longer and longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an awesome graphic novel, but beware the feels!! Haha I am constantly adding books to my TBR and I think it is time to go thin it out again soon, there are over 1,000 on there! Ooops!

      Delete