Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Review of Esio Trot by Roald Dahl

 
Synopsis: "Mr. Hoppy is in love with Mrs. Silver, but her heart belongs to Alfie, her pet tortoise. Mr. Hoppy is too shy to approach Mrs. Silver, until one day he comes up with a brilliant idea to win her heart. If Mr. Hoppy's plan works, Mrs. Silver will certainly fall in love with him. But it's going to take one hundred and forty tortoises, an ancient spell, and a little bit of magic."

My Review: I remember reading this book as a kid and thought I should add it to my shelves for when Munchkin gets a little older. I had forgotten how bizarre Roald Dahl's books were until I re-read this one. This is one that really needs to be read aloud to get the full effect of the growing and shrinking chant. I don't know if Munchkin will really enjoy it but I am happy to have it on my shelf for no more reason then sentimentality.
 
My Rating: I don't know how many kids would actually enjoy the subject matter of this book but the quirky way Dahl goes around it will definitely attract them.  I give it a rating of Four Paws.

2 comments:

  1. I've never read a Dahl book. I've heard some are better than others. I'm all for sentimentality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you never read a single one?! I think I read most of them, and some were even required reading in elementary school. You should definitely give some a chance, but there are certainly better ones and not so great ones.

      Delete