Saturday, May 7, 2016

Graphic Novel Review of Apollo: The Brilliant One by George O'Connor

 
Synopsis: "From high atop Olympus, the nine Muses, or Mousai, recount the story of the powerful and quick-tempered Apollo, the Brilliant One. Born of a she-wolf and Zeus, King of Gods, Apollo is destined fro the greatest of victories and most devastating of failures as his temper, privilege, and pride take him into battle with a serpent, in pursuit of a beautiful but unattainable nymph, and into deadly competition with his beloved. Watch closely as Apollo navigates the tumultuous world in which he lives. Will he rise above the rest and fulfill his destiny as the son of Zeus, or will he falter, consumed by his flaws, and destroy all that he touches?"

My Review: Another good installment to the Olympians series of graphic novels. I am really enjoying this series. While this wasn't my favorite of them, it is still well written with great artwork. I think it is mostly that I have never been a fan of Apollo. I like that it is told by the Muses in a series of short stories highlighting the more famous myths about Apollo. Of course I think the reference information at the end is the best part of these books, it breaks down the main characters of the stories in a way for younger readers to understand, these would really be useful to those kids struggling through a mythology semester in school, draw their interests into the subject.
 
My Rating: This wasn't my favorite of the series but still great. I love how this series can appeal to a wide range of audiences and introduce (or expand on a love for) mythology.  I give this one a rating of Three Paws and a Stump Wag.

2 comments:

  1. I love mythology. I'd probably enjoy these even though I'm not a huge GN fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great series of GN, they aren't like your typical super hero ones. There is a series (this is volume 8 I believe) but you don't have to read them in order. You can just pick your favorites if you like.

      Delete