Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Review of Taking Stock by Scott Bartlett

 
Synopsis: "Just as Sheldon Mason is about to end it all, he meets his upstairs neighbour, a drug dealer named Sam. Sam gets him professional help, as well as a job at a local grocery store.

As he struggles to make sense of his life, Sheldon starts to notice something odd about one of his new co-workers, Gilbert Ryan. Gilbert seems to know about Sheldon's mental health issues - in fact, he seems to know secrets about everyone.

And Gilbert sees value in Sheldon..."


My Review: I have previously read Royal Flush by Scott Bartlett and found his style of writing to be interesting and unique. I did have a little bit of difficulty with the jumping around in the timeline, sometimes you are in the present and some times in the past and occasionally it is difficult to tell where exactly you are in the order of things. I did find this to be an interesting novel that takes you from a time when Sheldon is at rock bottom and his struggle to climb back up and those who help him or appear to help him. You follow Sheldon along as he climbs and makes progress and then as he slides down again. At times I found it a little depressing, though that is part of what the book is about and if you are feeling the emotions then it is a well written book. It may not be a book for everyone but for some it will be a great book.
 
My Rating: It may not be a style of book I want to read all the time but it was still a good read that lead me into the emotions I think was intended.  I find it very interesting about how Bartlett interlinks another of his novels (Royal Flush) into this book, very creative.  I give Taking Stock a rating of Three Paws.
 
 
Taking Stock was sent to me by the author for an honest review.
 
You can find out more about Scott Bartlett and his work on his Goodreads Page or Website.
 
You can also obtain your own copy of Taking Stock in digital or print formats on Amazon  or in print format on Barnes and Noble.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment