Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Review of The Beast Within by Serena Valentino

Read for: Mount TBR Print
 
Synopsis: "A cursed prince sits alone in a secluded castle. Few have seen him, but those who claim they have say his hair is wild and nails are sharp--like a beast's! But how did this prince, once jovial and beloved by the people, come to be a reclusive and bitter monster? And is it possible that he can ever find true love and break the curse that has been placed upon him?"

My Review: I picked this book up on a whim last year and finally settled in to read it. I was looking forward to a new take on this classic story, I have read several re-telling books from Belle's point of view. There were a few changes from the story that we have heard and seen before, but there was a lot duplicated directly from the Disney movie, I am talking exact lines. I was also hoping for a more complicated and in depth look into The Beast's personality and developments. It was an enjoyable read, especially if you are a big fan of the movie, but it wasn't quite up to the level I had expected or hoped to read.
 
My Rating: This was just simply an okay book for me, a nice bit of fluff but nothing really all that imaginative. I give it a rating of Two Paws and a Stump Wag.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, a retelling needs to stand on its own. That's too bad that this one didn't offer anything unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a couple of unique things, I really like how Gaston was worked in but the direct copy of lines was a little annoying.

      Delete