Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Review of Blood in the Valley By JK Hogan

 
You can see my review of the first book in the Vigilati series Fire on the Island HERE
 
Synopsis: "The daughter of a Las Vegas hustler, Raven Sabatier grew up trusting nothing and no one—she doesn’t even trust herself to stay in one place for longer than a minute. When her quest to find out the secrets of her past leads her to the mountains of North Carolina, she’s set on a collision course with the one man she thought she’d never see again.

In Appalachia consulting on an archeological dig, Anthropologist Dr. Drew Deveraux comes face to face with the indomitable beauty who broke into his apartment a year ago, tilting his carefully cultivated world on its axis.

Engaged in a fight with their demons, both imagined and real, the last thing either of them expected to find was love. Together, they must unravel the mystery of Raven’s past and her connection with an ancient race of witches, in order to save their future—and all of the souls hanging in the balance."


My Review: This is the second book in this series. I did enjoy this book but it didn't grab me as much as the first book did. I felt like there was something missing. I still enjoyed the characters (even though a couple of my favorites weren't in this one), but I felt like I didn't get to spend enough time with them individually. I would have liked to get to know Drew more and/or Raven more, but they were always together or with everyone else. I don't think I needed Ray's story to put the pieces together either. I also felt like after reading Fire On the Island, I already knew what was going to happen, there wasn't as much suspense to get my blood racing. That said it was still a good book to read with some fun characters, I just wish I had gotten more.
 
My Rating: While I did enjoy this book, it wasn't quite up to park of the first in the series.  I give it a rating of Three Paws.
 
Please note there are some adult scenes and themes in this book.
 
 
Blood in the Valley was sent to me by the publisher for review.
 
You can find out more about the book on Goodreads, on the Publisher's Website or on the Author's Website.
 
You can get your own copy of Blood in the Valley in Paperback on Amazon.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment